This Quick and Easy yum yum sauce recipe takes less than 5 minutes to whip up and is also a make-ahead, pantry friendly, and stays good and well for a week!
What is Yum Yum Sauce?
If you’ve ever been to a Japanese hibachi steakhouse, you may have noticed that grilled meats and vegetables are served with a pink pale sauce. It is also known as yum yum sauce, shrimp sauce, and hibachi sauce.
The Japanese steakhouse frequently serves a creamy orange sauce alongside the steaming meal; the popularity of the sauce prompted the owner of a teppanyaki restaurant, Terry ho, to begin bottling it under the name yum yum sauce.
Almost every Teppananki restaurant served this sauce under a different name.
It’s a quick addictive sauce that you’ll fall in love with!
This Yum yum sauce is made with mayonnaise, vinegar, paprika, tomato paste/tomato ketchup, and garlic powder,this sauce beautifully balanced!
You will be floored at how the humble and simple ingredients make your taste bud zing!
Reason To love:
- It only takes about 5 minutes to prepare.
- It’s opulently creamy!
- The best side dishes to accompany your grilled meat and vegetables.
- It is pantry friendly! The ingredients are extremely simple.
- You can season it with your favourite spices to make it more flavorful.
- Mayonnaise – You can use either egg or eggless mayonnaise sauce.
- Sugar– It enhances the flavor of the sauce.
- Vinegar -You could use rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar in place of the vinegar.
- Paprika– adds a mild heat to the sauce; alternatively, sriracha sauce or hot chili sauce could be used.
- Tomato ketchup– This adds a tangy flavor to the sauce.
- Garlic powder– While fresh garlic can be used, the powder blends well with the sauce.
Step By Step Instructions:
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, whisk thoroughly to get incorporated. (Photo 1, 2, 3)
- Add 2 tablespoons of water, whisk again to get the consistency. (Photo 4)
- Yum Yum Sauce is ready. Set the sauce in the refrigerator for 1/2 an hour before serving.
- Tomato paste should be more tart than tomato ketchup. If you have tomato paste on hand, use it.
- Mix with a whisk to ensure that everything is well combined.
- To spice it up, add onion powder, cayenne pepper, and tobacco sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do you serve?
The yum yum sauce recipe pairs amazingly well with,
- Grilled Meats
- Grilled vegetables
- Deviled eggs
- Spicy potato salad
- On baked potato
- Steak sandwiches
- Dipping sauce for shrimp
- Grilled seafood
- In pasta salad
- A salad dressing
- Over French fries
- Sauce for hamburger or hotdogs
- How long can I store it?
Store the Yum yum sauce in an air-tight container and stays well and good for 5 days!
- Can you freeze the sauce?
We can’t freeze the sauce because it has mayonnaise in it. The emulsion of mayonnaise can break as it thaws. For the best result enjoy the sauce while it is fresh.
- How long should I wait before I serve the sauce?
Refrigerate the sauce for 1 hour before serving! Or you can keep it overnight too.
- Can I make it vegan?
You can use vegan mayonnaise.
Other Recipes You may like to try:
Did you know commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways you can support your favorite food bloggers? If you made this recipe, please click the stars below to comment and Rate this Recipe and/or share photos on social media using the hashtag #Nithisclickncook or tagging @nithisclickncookPrint