- 1.5 cups ziti /penne pasta
- 2 cups of tomato puree
- 1/2 cup capsicum (diced)
- 1/2 cup mushroom
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degree F/ 180 degrees C.
- Take all the ingredients to make baked vegetarian ziti.
- To cook pasta:
- Bring 3 cups of water to a rolling boil, add enough salt and olive oil and Cook the ziti/penne pasta till al-dente. Drain out the liquid and set aside.
- To a ricotta cheese in a small mixing bowl, add some mozzarella cheese, salt and pepper. Mix and set aside.
- How to make Baked Ziti:
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan, add finely chopped garlic, stir and cook for few seconds till the flavours of garlic are completely infused in oil.
- And then, add chopped onions, cook till the onions are translucent.
- Add the veggies chopped capsicum and mushroom.
- Then add chilli flakes, pepper powder, mixed herbs, oregano, dried basil. Stir and cook the vegetables with the herbs and spices.
- Add tomato puree and cook till the tomatoes are cooked.
- Add the cooked pasta gently stir with the tomato sauce for a minute.
- Add ricotta cheese, mix with the pasta.
- To assemble:
- Place the pasta on the baking tray, sprinkle some mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon some more pasta, again layer with mozzarella cheese. Cover with aluminium foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Tips to prepare the best- baked ziti Recipe:
1. Bake the ziti covered so that the pasta and sauce don’t turn mushy due to excessive moisture in the oven.
2. Bake the ziti until the cheese starts bubbling in the corners and the top cheesy layer turns golden brown.
3. Do not overcook the pasta because we bake the ziti and the pasta soften during this process. Overcooked pasta turns the whole recipe mushy.
4. Once the pasta is cooked and you remove it from the flame, drain out the hot water and rinse with cold water.
This will stop the pasta from cooking further as the heat is enough to continue cooking it. We don’t want the pasta overcooked as it will further get baked in the oven.
5. Penne pasta can be used instead of ziti pasta.
6.Veggies: You may use the veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peas, spinach that goes well for this recipe.
7. Replace Ricotta with cottage cheese: cottage cheese is versatile enough to use as a replacement for ricotta however the final result may taste little creamy.
To achieve the creaminess, blend cottage cheese a few drops of milk in the blender to get a creamy ricotta cheese.
- Category: Maincourse, starter,
- Method: Stovetop and Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegetarian baked ziti. baked ziti recipe, ziti recipe