Tomato Kurma without coconut is the easiest side dish which you can make in no-time. It’s simple,quick &Easy. Goes extremely well with Idly, dosa and roti.
Tomato kurma without coconut
Generally, kurma is made with coconut based but this kurma taste without coconut taste absolutely delicious and we do get a right consistency of kurma.
Adding a spoon full of besan flour diluted in water take this gravy the next level and we get the right consistency. So Easy right? We need not grate and grind the coconut to make, this simple Trick can be a time savour
HOW DO YOU MAKE TOMATO KURMA WITHOUT COCONUT?
- Heat up gingerly oil, add fennel seeds, cinnamon, cloves, sliced onions and slited green chili and cook until the onions turns translucent.
- Add in tomatoes, salt and coriander leaves cook until the tomatoes turns mushy.
- Next add in chili powder, turmeric powder and cook until the oil oozes out it takes 2 to 3 mins. Add in 1 cup of water, cover and cook for 5 to 8 mins over medium heat.
- Now, take 1tbs of besan flour with 1/2 cup of water in a small mixing bowl.
- Add the besan flour mixture to the tomato gravy. Cook further for 2 mins.
WHAT GIVES YOU KURMA CONSISTENCY WITHOUT COCONUT?
Adding diluted besan flour thickens up the gravy which gives you the taste and texture of kurma.
WHAT VEGETABLES DO YOU PUT IN KURMA?
- You can also add vegetables like potato, mushroom or peas. Add them in a small diced pieces so it reduces the cooking time.
- Add the vegetables in the stage, once you add the tomatoes and cook further for 5 to 8 mins.
CAN I USE CANNED TOMATO FOR THIS RECIPE?
- We basically need chunky tomato pieces for this recipe. Using the fresh tomatoes are always better.
- We can also use canned tomato as well, how ever there will be a slight change in flavor and texture of the kurma.
HOW DO YOU STORE TOMATO KURMA?
Leftovers can be stored in airtight container and place in refrigerator for 3 days.
CAN WE FREEZE TOMATO KURMA?
Bring the kurma to room temperature, pour them in airtight container and you can freeze upto a month.
HOW TO THAW TOMATO KURMA?
- Take out the freezer 20 mins prior cooking, pour the tomato kurma in a pan, cover and cook for 10 to 15 mins in medium heat.
- Add some handful of chopped coriander for the fresh taste.
HOW DO YOU SERVE TOMATO KURMA?
This is BEST served with Idly, Dosa, Chapati.
Step by step pictures to make tomato kurma:
Ingredients are taken to make tomato kurma
Heat up oil in pan
Serve with Idly, Dosa, chapati and poori.
Other Recipes you would like to try:
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!