Thandai recipe is a traditional Indian dry fruit beverage that is very popular in the North and is relished in the South as well. It is loaded with the goodness of milk and dry fruits, making it extremely healthy and lip-smacking delicious.
- Author: Nithya Narasimhan
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: Resting Time- 30 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
- Category: Bevarage, Drink
- Method: StoveTop
- Cuisine: indian
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- Saffron a pinch
- 3 tablespoon milk (for saffron)
- Thandai Ingredients to grind:
- 15 Almonds
- 15 Cashewnuts
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 5 cardamom
- 1 teaspoon watermelon seeds
- 1 teaspoon rose essence
- To decorate:
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachios
- 1 tablespoon chopped almonds
- Soak all the thandai paste ingredients in hot water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- while the thandai paste ingredients are soaked up, Heat milk in a saucepan, add sugar. Stir till the sugar dissolves completely and bring to boil and turn off the heat and set aside.
- Take some spoonful of boiled milk and pour into the bowl that has saffron. Set aside.
- Now, Pour the soaked thandai ingredients into a blender and grind to a paste.
- Add the ground thandai paste to the boiled milk and pour in half of the saffron milk. Give a stir, the milk looks like a pale yellow colour. Keep the milk aside for 20 minutes. Or You can refrigerate to get a chilled milk.
- After the thandai paste is steeped in milk for good 20 minutes, sieve the milk using a fine mesher.
- Thandai milk is ready! Then add remaining saffron milk, chopped nuts, rose essence. Give a stir.
- Keep in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes and then serve.
- Use whole milk that is not skimmed so that your drink is delicious with a thick, creamy texture.
- Let the mixture sit for an hour so that all the flavours are infused in it before boiling.
- Prepare this drink in advance because it tastes best when served chilled.
- Use a fine sieve to strain the mixture so that the residue of the ground dry fruits does not ruin the texture of the smooth drink.
- If you want a creamy texture, you can also soak the ingredients such as almond and cashew overnight so that it is soft while grinding.
Keywords: Thandai, Thandai recipe, holi recipe