- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 3
- Category: Veg- gravy
- Cuisine: Indian
- Toor dal – 1/2 cup
- Squash – 1 cup.
- Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- Hing- 1/4 tsp
- Garlic- 5 cloves
- Coriander leaves – 1 small bunch.
- Onion – 3 medium size
- Tomato – 2
- Green chilli – 3
- Tamarind – a small lemon sized ball.
- Redchilli powder- 1and 1/2 tsp
- Dhanya/ coriender powder- 1tbs
- Oil- 1tbs
- Vadagam- 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chillies – 3
- Fenugeek seeds – 1 tsp.
- Curry leaves- 2 string.
- Water- 4 cups.
- Pressure cook toor dal adding turmeric powder, garlic, coriander leaves, oil, hing and cook for 6 whistle.
- Once the pressure cooked mash the dal, add 2 or 3 cups of water.
- Add in onions, tomatos, chillies, squash and cook for 15 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are half cooked add in tamarind extract, chilli powder, coriander powder. Let it cook for 10 to 12 mins in medium slow flame.
- Heat oil in separate pan, add vadagam, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, make sure not to burn and immediately add to sambar.
- Turn off the heat and cover the lid. Keep covered for 1/2 hour and sprinkle some coriander leaves before serving.
- Serve hot with rice, dosa or idly.
STEP BY STEP PICTURES:
In a small pan add in vadagam, cumin seeds, dry red chillies.
Serve hot with rice with pappad.