This Shrimp Toast recipe is a restaurant delicious a crowd-pleasing appetizer, beautifully coated with sesame seeds with exploding layers of flavor with the right amount of kick.
Looking for more shrimp recipes? Here is the collection of All shrimp recipes.
What is shrimp toast?
Are you a big fan of shrimps? If yes! Then you are likely to devour this shrimp toast recipe as much as I adored.
Shrimps are combined with lovely delectable ingredients blend together to make an enticing shrimp mousse.
The flavors are tempting, the texture is scrumptious and this soft succulent shrimp mousse is slathered on toast makes a savory rich shrimp toast that is appetizing and heavenly delicious.
Though the shrimp toast was originated in Guangzhou, China. It has propagated across the globe and has become the staple in hong kong and Americanized Chinese restaurants all over the country.
It has become a common appetizer in western Chinese such as Australia and America.
Reason to love shrimp toast recipe:
Quick & Easy: These are ridiculously easy and when you’re craving something delicious and quick, this is the recipe you have been looking for.
Pantry friendly: If you have a stock of frozen shrimp at home and you already have rest all the ingredients so, you will be ready for this sapid recipe.
Versatile: They are super versatile. You can add any of your favorite seasonings to amplify the flavors.
Ingredients & The Notes:
Ingredients & The Notes:
Bread – Preferably white bread, but brown bread will suffice. As this is a savory dish, please do not use sweetened bread.
Shrimp- Peeled and diced medium-sized shrimps are used for this recipe.
Fresh spring onions – Fresh spring onions add an earthy flavor to the toast.
Lemon juice – It is best to use fresh lemon juice. This will bring out the zing in the shrimp paste.
Pepper powder – Use as much or as little as you like.
Paprika – optional; any other seasonings can be used in its place.
Garlic – I love adding garlic to shrimp because it helps to balance out the flavor.
Sesame seeds– white sesame seeds are preferred, as they will add a crunch layer to the toast.
Step By Step Instructions:
- To a blender, add shrimp, garlic, spring onions, pepper powder and paprika, salt. (Photo 1)
- Squeeze half a lemon juice. (Photo 2)
- Blend them finely to make a fine paste or until smooth. Stop the blender periodically and use the spatula to scrape on the sides. (Photo 3)
- Cut the toast diagonally or you can also use whole toast. ( I did not cut the crust but in the restaurant, they serve you crustless, trimmed off the edges) (Photo 4)
- Use a knife or small spoon to spread the layer of the shrimp mixture onto the toast. Make sure it reaches all the edges. (photo 5)
- Spread sesame seeds on a flat plate, place the toast over the sesame seeds facing the shrimp paste, and press them gently. (photo 6)
- So the sesame seeds stick to the paste. Similarly, make all the toast and keep them ready to fry(photo 7)
- Heat oil in the frying pan, place the shrimp paste side facing the pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat and brown the bread on the other side. (Photos 9 & 10)
- Purchase the highest quality shrimp for the delectable shrimp Toast.
- Please feel free to trim it off the edge of the crust if you prefer to have crustless bread.
- Some restaurant’s shrimp toast is deep-fried, if you prefer to deep-fry use neutral oil.
- There are a lot of variations you can make with this shrimp toast, you can add your favorite herbs to elevate the flavors, add various spice rubs to bring out the different tastes.
- The toast cooks very fast, make sure to flip it once the shrimp side turned golden.
How do you serve?
This Shrimp Toast recipe can be served as a quick snack, starter/appetizer. It is best to be served along with other Asian foods.
How to deep fry shrimp toast?
To Deep fry, Heat oil in a deep frying pan, gently slide the toast in oil, and fry the toast at a lower temperature to get the crispy toast.
How to air fry shrimp toast recipe?
Preheat your air fryer at 400 degrees F/ 200 degrees C for 5 minutes. Brush some oil on both the sides of the toast and gently place them in a single layer inside the air-fryer basket with the Shrimp sesame side facing up. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until it turns to a golden brown.
Can I bake them?
Yes! You can bake them in the oven. Bake them in the preheated oven for 400 degrees F/ 200 degrees C for 10 minutes.
Recipes you may love to try:
Did you know commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways you can support your favorite food bloggers?
If you made this recipe, please click the stars below to comment and Rate this Recipe and/or share photos on social media using the hashtag #Nithisclickncook or tagging @nithisclickncookPrint