Start your day with this hearty, satisfying Shakshuka recipe bursting with loads of flavor, with delightful tomato sauce. This is absolutely quick and Easy to make!
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup onions
- 1 tbs garlic
- 5 to matoes
- 1 tbs tomato sauce
- 1 tbs chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp coriander leaves
- Heat up olive oil in wide saute pan, add garlic and onions. Saute until the onions turns translucent.
- Add in chopped tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Mix and saute well for 3 mins.
- Add chilli powder, cumin powder, salt and sugar
- Saute till the tomatoes are nice and soft.
- Make a small circle, a space enough to add eggs
- Now, break 1 egg at a time and fill in the space
- Cover and cook for few minutes until the eggs are well cooked.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves.
1.Tomatoes: Use ripe tomatoes for the better taste that gives you great color and taste to the sauce. Finely dice the tomatoes to cook faster. You can also use good quality canned as well.
2.Spices: The basic spices are paprika/chili powder and cumin powder. You can also include pepper powder for more heat. Make sure you stir the spices in tomato sauce and saute until the raw smell disappears that gives you a lovely flavor and fragrance.
3.Cooking the eggs: Use fresh eggs and To make the eggs to evenly cooked. Cover it with the lid so the heat from above will speed up the process.
4.Water: Do not add water as the liquid from the tomatoes is enough to cook.
In case, If you had less liquid left in the pan and your sauce begins to stick to the pan add 1/4 cup of water and stir well. Continue cooking until only 3 tbs of liquid left. You should get thick saucy&chunky tomato sauce.
5.Variations: Again the variations are countless! You can add capsicum (bell pepper), eggplants, zucchini. Any veggies as you like! Add diced vegetables and saute before you add tomatoes.
- Category: Breakfast, Breakfast/dinner, healthy breakfast
- Cuisine: Mediterranean