- 1 cup Cottage cheese/Paneer
- 1 tbs Butter
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 tbs Fresh cream
- 1 tsp Dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 tsp Salt
To Saute and Grind:
- 1 tbs Butter
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Onion
- 2 tbs Cashews (soaked in 1 cup of water)
- 1 tsp Pepper corns-
- 1 Cinnamon
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 inch Ginger
- 5 pods Garlic
- Soak cashews in water for 10 mins.
To make Onion-tomato paste:
- 1.Heat up butter add cinnamon, cardamom, peppercorns and sauce for few seconds.
- Add diced onion, tomato, ginger, garlic and saute until onions turns translucent. Turn off the heat.
- Add to the blender and soaked cashews along with water and Grind to a smooth paste.
- Onion-tomato paste is ready. Keep aside.
To make shahi Paneer:
- Heat up butter, add chili powder, saute for few seconds over a low-medium heat.
- Add onion-tomato paste, salt and keep stirring for 3 to 4 mins until the gravy comes to boil. ( if the gravy has thicken up, add 1/2 cup of hot water)
- Add paneer pieces and milk.Gently give a stir. Cover and cook for 5 mins.
- Open the lid add in fresh cream and sprinkle some crushed fenugreek leaves.
- Shahi paneer is ready.
Variations You can make:
1. Shahi paneer with almonds: Soak 5 to 6 almonds along with cashews in a bowl of water. This makes the gravy super-rich and delicious.
2. Shahi paneer with capsicum: You can add capsicum along with paneer pieces and cook till the capsicum is slightly crunchy.
3. Shahi paneer with khoya: Khoya or mawa is the dried evaporated milk solids If you would like to add , mix 3 TBS of grated khoya once you add the onion-tomato paste and proceed with the method.
4. Shahi paneer with yoghurt: You can add 2 tbs of yoghurt in gravy once you saute onion-tomato masala.
5. Shahi paneer without onion-garlic: You can skip onions & garlic for this recipe and proceed with the cooking. You can double the number of tomatoes and 1 tsp of sugar to control the sourness. This way we get yummy shahi paneer without onions &garlic.
6. Vegan Shahi Paneer: You can substitute Butter to Cashew butter & for dairy products we can substitute almond milk
What Is The Best Substitute For Paneer?
You can substitute with Tofu,also known as bean curd.
- Category: gravy veg
- Cuisine: Indian