Scalloped potatoes are all things cheesy, garlicky and amazingly delicious. This mildly flavoured, the gooey cheese-filled dish is nothing short of mouth-watering!
Its exquisite combination of flavours and delectable taste make it a very popular dish.
This Scalloped potatoes recipe requires simple, pantry friendly ingredients and minimal prep process and time.
Anyone can make this simple, yet delectably favoured dish quickly and perfectly.
This scalloped potato with cheese was a celebrated dish at home because everyone loved it and were blown away by the flavours that it presents with the creamy, soft, cheesy texture. It is healthy too.
How do you make Scalloped potatoes Recipe from scratch?
1.Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/350 degree F.
2. To the saucepan, heat butter, garlic, flour, milk and spices. Gradually whisk to a smooth cream.
3. Place the sliced potato to the baking tray, pour the sauce over. Add grated cheese. Cover with aluminium foil.
4. Bake for 30 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered.
5. Bake until bubbly and potatoes are tender
Why it is called Scalloped potato?
Scalloped potatoes recipe is a type of casserole that is made with thinly sliced potato cooked with cheese, milk and some spices.
Generally, scallop means a type of shellfish but it does not.
The old English word “collap” from the old French “escalope” meant “sliced potato” which is how the potatoes are prepared in scalloped potatoes.
What is the difference between Scalloped potato and au gratin?
Scalloped potato consists of thinly sliced potato in a casserole or baking tray and baked with heavy milk, cheese.
Potato au gratin has cheese sprinkled between the layers, resulting in more cheesy. Bread crumbs are also served on top of the dish before it goes to the oven.
Why this recipe works:
• Super tasty and nutritious
• Easy to prepare in a short time
• Pantry friendly ingredients that are easily available without fuss
• An exquisite combination of flavours will leave you wanting more.
How to make Scalloped Potato:
Tips to make the best Scalloped Potatoes Recipe:
1. When you pick the potatoes for this recipe, choose the ones that have a smooth skin without blemishes. It should be firm and hard.
This makes it easier to wash, clean, peel and cut.
2. Pre-heat the oven at the recommended temperature for the required time.
This ensures thorough and even cooking of the potatoes.
3. While slicing the potatoes, make sure that they are about 1/8th of an inch.
This is neither too thick or too thin. It is just right for the texture of the dish to be perfect.
4. It is recommended that you use dried herbs as they are better for cooking and doesn’t release moisture into the dish.
It also mixes easily and really well in the sauce. ‘
5. Serve hot, so that you can experience the exquisite flavour, texture and aroma when it Is fresh out of the oven.
1. What kind of potato is recommended for this recipe?
Basically, you can use any type of potato, but if you want to go authentic, you can use Yukon or russet potato or a combination of both.
You can go rogue with a small quantity of sweet potato as well. It totally depends on your preferences.
2. Which is the best kind of cheese to use for this potato recipe?
Gruyere cheese suits this recipe best because of its rich and creamy texture along with a signature salt and sweet taste.
If you substitute the cheese, the flavour may not be the same. If you are a fan of different cheese, you can go ahead and give it a try too.
3. How to check if my potato is properly cooked?
Poke the centre of the potato slices to see if they are tender. If that is soft and tender, it means that your potato is cooked.
Do not overcook it or leave it half-cooked as it is the main ingredient and can affect the dish overall.
4. How long can I store?
You can store it covered in foil and refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Do not freeze this dish, because it will ruin the texture of the potato and the cream sauce.
5. How do I serve the Scalloped potatoes?
Serve hot. You can garnish with herbs or sauce as per your preference.
Use a sharp-edged spoon or ladle to scoop out the servings so that the arrangement of the potatoes and cream in the baking dish is not dishevelled or messed up.
6. What goes well with?
Other Recipes you may like to try:
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!Print
Scalloped potatoes are all things cheesy, garlicky and amazingly delicious. This mildly flavoured, gooey cheese filled dish is nothing short of mouth-watering!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40minutes (baking)
- Total Time: 50
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Maincourse
- Method: Stovetop and Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- Peel the skin of the potatoes/ Slice potatoes thinly and keep immersed in water until we use it.
- To a saucepan, heat butter, add minced garlic stir and cook for few seconds, the flavour of the garlic is infused in butter.
- Add pepper powder, salt and all-purpose flour, stir for few seconds.
- Quickly add milk, while the milk is being added, whisk the sauce using a balloon whisk.
- Keep stirring over low medium heat to avoid lumps.
- Add all the herbs and spices. Keep stirring till the sauce is lightly thickened.
- Arrange sliced potato in a baking tray, pour the sauce over to the potatoes. Sprinkle some thyme. Sprinkle some grated cheese.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 30 minutes and remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes until bubbly and potatoes are tender.
Tips to Prepare Scalloped Potatoes:
- 1. When you pick the potatoes for this recipe, choose the ones that have a smooth skin without blemishes. It should be firm and hard. This makes it easier to wash, clean, peel and cut.
- 2. Pre-heat the oven at the recommended temperature for the required time. This ensures thorough and even cooking of the potatoes.
- 3. While slicing the potatoes, make sure that they are about 1/8th of an inch. This is neither too thick or too thin. It is just right for the texture of the dish to be perfect.
- 4. It is recommended that you use dried herbs as they are better for cooking and doesn’t release moisture into the dish. It also mixes easily and really well in the sauce. ‘
- 5. Serve hot, so that you can experience the exquisite flavour, texture and aroma when it Is fresh out of the oven.
Keywords: Scalloped potato , scalloped potato recipe, potatoes recipe