These Savoury muffins are stuffed with healthy vegetables are wonderfully delicious, cheesy, flavourful and on your table in less than 25 minutes!
What is savoury Muffins:
There’s just something about a freshly baked muffins that can make every one smile!
Easy and delicious, a muffin is an ultimate pleaser as the perfect healthy breakfast or snack that can be made in minutes.
It’s very easy to get creative with making savoury breakfast muffins as you can play around with flavours and fillings as per your choice. You can go rogue with ingredients such as fruits, nuts, eggs, veggies – totally up to you.
My family loved the cheese muffins even as a snack and each time I had different flavours and fillings.
One can never get bored with this cheese muffin recipe because there is so much of creativity involved and you can use ingredients of your choice. Let us try some now.
Why this recipe works:
- Savoury breakfast muffins can be made quickly in a matter of minutes. Mix the ingredients, bake and serve. You are just minutes away from relishing the best breakfast muffins.
- Few ingredients but the ultimate taste. All you need are the basic ingredients for the dough and your favourite fillings or flavours.
- Can be made for breakfast, snacks, or to cater to your midnight hunger! Anytime of the day, with any filling of your choice. You can also bake different flavoured muffins in the same batch!
Ingredients &The Notes:
- Flour: I have used all-purpose flour to make this savory muffin. You may use wholewheat flour, but the texture of the muffins would be lightly dense.
- Spinach: thoroughly wash the spinach to remove impurities, then pat dry them to remove the excess moisture and chop them very finely.
- Carrot: I have shredded the carrot using a small-sized grater blade, that helps to get thinly shredded carrots.
- Spices: I have used minced garlic, chili flakes, pepper powder, dried oregano, dried Italian herbs. You may use any other dried herbs as your taste preference.
- Cheese: I have used processed cheese. You may use cheddar cheese or any flavored cheese.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter, melt the butter in low heat.
Step By Step Instructions:
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C/350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with a muffin case.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to 1 cup All-purpose flour, mix well to combine. (Photos 1)
- Take 1 cup chopped spinach, 1/2 cup grated carrot, and 2 tablespoon sweetcorns to a mixing bowl. (Photo 2)
- Over medium heat, melt butter, add 1/2 teaspoon garlic,1/2 teaspoon pepper powder, 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes, 1/2 teaspoon Italian herbs, 1/2 teaspoon oregano. Stir for just a few seconds. (Photos 3 & 4)
- Pour in the melted butter to vegetables that are in the bowl, mix well. (Photos 5 & 6)
- Now, add 1/4 cup milk. (Photos 7 & 8)
- Add 1 egg, 3/4 cup cheese, mix well. (Photos 9,10,11)
- Add the 1 cup all-purpose flour. (Photo 12)
- Mix well to a batter consistency. Pour the muffin batter into the muffin case and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. (Photos 13, 14)
- If you are using any ingredient that releases water (such as tomato, spinach, etc.) squeeze to remove the excess water else the muffin may become runny. Another option here is to add less of the liquid ingredients such as milk or water.
- Grease the muffin tins so that it doesn’t stick to the sides. You can also use silicon moulds to bake without greasing.
- Some great options for your muffins:
- Protein rich: ham, sausage, chicken, chorizo, bacon, etc.
- Cheese: swiss, mozzarella, feta, cheddar, or a combination, etc.
- Veggies: Mushrooms, bell peppers, onion, kale, broccoli, artichokes, tomato, spinach, etc.
How to store the Cheese muffins?
You can store these muffins in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze and reheat it for the next serving.
How to make soft and spongy breakfast muffins?
Do not overcook the muffins, especially if you have egg in it. Overcooking it makes it hard and tough. Poke a skewer to see if your muffins are done right.
How to serve savoury muffins recipe?
It is great to serve breakfast muffins with chopped avocados and tomatoes to complete a healthy and filling breakfast.
How to prevent overflow during the baking process?
Fill each holding to 3/4th capacity because the muffins rise during the baking process. This will ensure that the muffin does not overflow and is in great shape.
Other Recipes You may like to try:
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!Print