This Chettinad pepper chicken masala has the glorious flavor, outrageously delicious with simple and humble ingredients, You seriously will be AMAZED by the Chettinad flavors of the freshly ground spices!
- 1/2 kg chicken
- 1 tbs peppercorns
- 1 tbs fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut
To make pepper chicken masala
- 2 tbs gingerly oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 cup onions
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 to matoes
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- Heat up 1 tsp of oil, add peppercorns and let it sizzle just for few seconds. Turn off the heat.
- Take a blender to add coconut, fennel seeds, and peppercorns.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and grind to a very fine paste and keep aside, until we ready to add.
- In a deep saute pan, heat up gingerly oil, add fennel seeds. Let it sizzle.
- Add chopped onions
- Saute until the onions turn translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste
- Keep sauteing for few more mins, till the raw smell of the ginger garlic paste leaves off.
- Add chopped tomatoes
- Cook the tomatoes, till they are nice and soft.
- Now, in goes the spice powder, add chili powder and turmeric powder. Saute for 5 mins.
- Add ground coconut paste, saute and cook for another 5 mins
- Add in washed chicken pieces, quickly mix well and saute the chicken pieces in masala for 5 mins. The chicken has to be completely coated with masala.
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water
- Cover and cook for 15 to 20 mins, till the chicken, is well cooked. You can see a thin layer of oil on the sides of the pan. Its time to turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves. Turn off the heat.
Tips to make better pepper chicken masala:
Get the tender chicken pieces for the juicer pepper chicken masala, also do not overcook the chicken that makes the chicken hard and rubbery.
Use gingerly oil for this recipe, that gives your Chettinad pepper chicken a unique and distinct flavor.
Roasting the peppercorns is an absolute must because that gives you the more aromatic flavor when we ground.
Prefer using freshly ground ginger garlic paste for more flavors.
Sauting the onion and tomato mixture well to a nice and .soft
- Category: gravy- nonveg, Non-vegetarian Gravy
- Cuisine: Indian, south Indian