Paneer Bhurji recipe is one easy and quick side dish with cottage cheese, peas, potato all cooked in one pan, comforting, healthy with exploding flavours and on your table Under 15 minutes!
What is Paneer Bhurji?
Paneer Bhurji is a popular Indian dish that is scrambled cottage cheese with onion, tomatoes, spices and a tang of lime juice – an irresistible combination!
It can be used as sides with Indian bread, or as a filling in rolls, or even as a snack.
There are no fancy ingredients, but the paneer Bhurji is nothing short of fancy.
Why this recipe works:
1. Paneer is a rich source of protein and this is an easy and delicious way to incorporate paneer.
2. Simple ingredients are used and these ingredients are handy in almost all kitchens.
3. Minimal prep and versatility of paneer Bhurji make this one of my favourite dishes:
use paneer Bhurji as sides, as filling and as a snack too!
How to make Paneer Bhurji recipe:
Tips to make the best paneer Bhurji:
1. If you intend to make the paneer instead of using store-bought paneer, use whole milk to curdle. It will give you good quality paneer that is soft, rich and juicy.
2. Use a mixture of oil and butter to cook the paneer Bhurji. Butter enhances the taste of the paneer Bhurji and the oil prevents the butter from burning.
3. You can use pav bhaji masala to give it a bhaji flavour. This enhances the spicy flavour of the Bhurji and makes a good stuffing.
1. Why is my paneer rubbery?
If you overcook the paneer, it loses all its moisture content and becomes hard.
You can keep checking to see if the paneer is cooked so that you don’t evaporate its moisture content.
2. How to rectify rubbery paneer?
If you find that your paneer is hard and rubbery due to overcooking,
you can add a few drops of water and cook on a low flame until the moisture is absorbed by the paneer.
3. Can I add vegetables other than onion and tomatoes?
You can add any vegetables of your choice.
You can also add pre-scrambled eggs or sautéed mushroom, capsicum.
The key to combining all the ingredients well is to chop the vegetables into small pieces so that they combine well with the paneer.
4. Can I substitute tofu?
Yes, Of course, you can substitute tofu. Scramble or grate the tofu.
Other Recipes you may like to try:
ALL Paneer Recipes
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!Print
Paneer Bhurji is one easy and quick side dish with cottage cheese, peas, potato all cooked in one pan, comforting, healthy with exploding flavours and on your table Under 15 minutes!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Breakfast, snack, sidedish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: indian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 cup cottage cheese (crumbled)
- 1/4 cup peas (cooked)
- 1/2 cup potato (peel and dice into small pieces)
- 1 onion ( chopped)
- 2 tomato ( chopped )
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic ( finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder ( I used Kashmiri red chilli powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 /2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat ghee in a saucepan, add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, chopped garlic and ginger. Stir for a 1 minute till the aromas of garlic and ginger-infused in ghee.
- Now, add chopped onion and salt
- fry the onion well, Stir chopped green chilli
- Add diced potato, stir 3 to 4 minutes, till the potatoes are cooked.
- Then add chopped tomato, quick stir for a minute.
- Add in the spice powders chilli powder and turmeric powder and salt. Stir till the raw smell of the spices disappears.
- Now, in goes crumbled paneer and peas. Cook for just a few minutes until everything is combined.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves.
- Squeeze some lemon juice and turn off the heat.
Tips to make the best paneer bhurji:
- If you intend to make the paneer instead of using store-bought paneer, use whole milk to curdle. It will give you good quality paneer that is soft, rich and juicy.
- Use a mixture of oil and butter to cook the paneer bhurji. Butter enhances the taste of the paneer Bhurji and the oil prevents the butter from burning.
- You can use pav bhaji masala to give it a bhaji flavour. This enhances the spicy flavour of the bhurji and makes a good stuffing.
Keywords: paneer Bhurji, Paneer Bhurji Recipe, Paneer recipe