Palak Kofta recipe – This spinach kofta curry is Packed with nutrients from the spinach and cottage cheese. These are golden outside and soft inside and the most crave-worthy kofta recipe You can make this recipe ahead of time and refrigerate for easy assembly. It is super healthy as it is loaded with the power of iron and protein.
What is Palak Kofta Recipe:
This palak kofta recipe is very easy to prepare considering that it takes very little time to prepare and all the ingredients are handy and easily available.
This is one healthy way to devour spinach in your life!
My family loved the taste, flavor, and creamy texture of the gravy and the crispy outside and soft inside palak kofta.
Each time, I served this palak kofta recipe with a different dish – once with chapati/roti and next with jeera rice and ghee rice.
Everyone loved both the combinations and was left craving for more of this mouth-watering, wholesome... palak kofta.
Why this recipe works:
- Few ingredients and spices that are easily available in your kitchen.
- Prepare this dish even at short notice or even as a side dish for leftover rice or chapati as it consumes very little time to make.
- It is super healthy for everyone to eat as it is rich in protein and iron and the kids will love it.
Ingredients and the Notes:
- Ginger garlic paste: I always prefer using Freshly ground Ginger garlic paste more than store-bought. It has amazing flavors!
- Onion Paste: To get smooth gravy, we paste them. I have used red onion, it has a mild sweeter taste. You can use white onions as well.
- Tomato paste: Tangyness to the gravy is from the tomato, make sure to add pulpy tomatoes to get the right taste.
- Cashews: To get the restaurant-quality gravy, add cashew paste. Soaking them in hot water helps to soften the cashews that give you rich creamy Kofta gravy.
- Spices: The spices are simple here, I have used Kashmiri red chili powder for the lovely color to the gravy and Garam masala and turmeric powder. You may use fennel powder, cumin powder as well.
- Fresh cream: A dash of fresh cream before serving will lighten up the gravy.
- Spinach: I have used the greens called spinach for the kofta. Spinach is widely available in your local grocery store.
You may also use collard greens, kale, mustard greens, Swiss chard, broccoli rabe, watercress, Chinese broccoli.
- Walnuts: I have used walnuts to make the kofta, it is healthy as well as tasty. You will love the crunchy bits of walnuts through the cream of cottage cheese.
You may use cashews, almonds, pistachio.
Spinach /Palak Kofta Ingredients:
How to make spinach kofta Curry Step by step Instructions:
To make Spinach kofta recipe:
- Take the cottage cheese, grate them finely using a grater and mash it crumble. Now add 3/4th cup finely chopped spinach leaves, 1 green chili,1/2 teaspoon garam masala. 1 teaspoon ginger, 1/4 cup walnuts, 1 tablespoon cornflour, and 1/2 or 1 teaspoon salt. (Photo 1)
- Mix everything to combine well, Knead the cottage cheese for 5 to 7 mins to make a soft dough-like texture. ( Photo 2)
- Shape them into a round ball, you can apply butter in your palms to make round balls without crack. (Photo 3)
- To a shallow fry pan, add 3 tablespoon butter, once the butter has melted, gently place the kofta balls and shallow fry them till they are golden brown, or either you can deep fry them till they are a golden color. ( Please check out the below FAQS section if you’re looking for Airfryer or oven method) (Photo 4)
To make Spinach Kofta Curry
- To the same pan, add 1 tablespoon butter, add cumin seeds stir for few seconds, add onion paste, salt, and cook the onions till the color changes to a light brown color. (Photos 5&6)
- Add ginger garlic paste, Stir fry till the raw smell of the ginger-garlic paste leaves off. (Photo 7)
- Add tomato puree and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. (Photo 8)
- Add cashew paste, stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Then add chili powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala. Stir till the raw smell of the masala leaves off. (Photos 9,10,11)
- Add 1 cup of water, stir and cook for 5 minutes. Finally, sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon sugar. Turn off the heat. (Photo 12)
- Place the kofta over the gravy and serve.
Tips to make the best palak kofta
- You can either deep fry the kofta balls or slightly flatten them and shallow fry them based on your preference. If you deep fry the kofta, slide it into the hot oil, and don’t drop it so that the oil doesn’t splash.
- Add the fried kofta into the gravy just before serving, so that it remains crisp and doesn’t turn soggy and mushy.
- If you want the koftas to be extra crispy, you can use a binder such as maida or cornflour. Roll the kofta ball or patty and coat it with a layer of the binder and then fry. You will get amazing kofta that is crunchy outside and soft inside.
- If you want the paneer to be grated very finely, allow it to freeze for about two hours before grating. You will get a finely grated paneer that is free of lumps.
- Knead the kofta balls for good 8 minutes that gives you the soft, no lumps kofta balls.
- Use freshly ground ginger garlic paste for the best flavors of the gravy.
- Saute the onion and tomato paste till they are well cooked and the raw smell disappears that one key technique to get the lovely gravy.
1.How to get creamy gravy for palak kofta?
Add about 1/4th cup cashew paste. This gives a rich flavor and also thickens the gravy. You will get a smooth gravy for palak kofta
2.How long can I store?
I recommend that you add the fried kofta into the gravy right before serving. The longer the kofta stays in the gravy, the softer it becomes. So if you refrigerate this, it will turn soft and mushy.
Try to store the kofta and the gravy separately so that it stays fresh for the next serving.
3.Is there a different way to make the gravy for palak kofta?
If you prefer green gravy, you can make a palak gravy to go with the palak kofta or you can use the onion and tomato combination for the red gravy. The spices remain the same.
4.How to serve spinach kofta curry ?
Palak kofta can be served with chapati/roti/naan/Phulka, etc., or with rice such as ghee rice, jeera rice, or masala rice, etc. This is generally served garnished with Kasuri methi and coriander and served with slices of onion, cucumber, and lemon.
5.How to fry the palak kofta in Airfryer or oven?
To cook palak kofta,
Airfryer – Pre-heat your air fryer for 10 minutes 180 degrees C.
Brush the air fryer basket with, place the kofta balls, brush some oil over the kofta, and air-fry for 15 minutes. Turning the sides halfway through. The palak kofta would turn to a nice golden color. Bring to room temperature and them remove or else they will break.
Oven: Pre-heat your oven for 180 degrees C/ 356 F for 5 minutes.
Spray some oil in the baking sheet, line the palak koftas, spray some oil over the kofta and bake for 15 to 18 minutes turning halfway through.
This Palak Kofta recipe pairs well with:
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!Print