The Hyderabadi Mutton Shami kabab is a great starter dish for lunch or dinner and can even be had as a tasty snack. It is perfectly spiced with intoxicating spice blend and makes everything better!
- 300 grams – Minced mutton
- 1/4 cup – channa dal
- 6 garlic pods
- 2-inch ginger pieces
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 3 dry red chillies
- 1 cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 2 teaspoon oil (for shallow fry)
- Heat oil in a pan, once the oil is heated up. Add minced mutton, channa dal, ginger, garlic, peppercorns, cardamom, cloves, dry red chillies, fennel seeds, mint and coriander leaves.
- Over low medium heat, stir and cook. The water from the mutton naturally comes off. Keep stirring until the moisture is completely absorbed.
- Slowly stir and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, till the mutton is well cooked. You can check for the doneness, just by pressing the channa dal and minced mutton.
- Bring the mixture to room temperature and add to a blender and grind to a fine mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and knead for 2 minutes to make a smooth dough.
- Take a lemon sized ball and gently press in your palm to make a round shape and set aside.
- Add oil To a pan, over low- medium heat, place the kebab gently and cook for 1 or 2 minutes till the kebabs turn to a nice golden colour.
Tips to prepare the best mutton Shami kabab:
- 1.You may Refrigerate the ground dough in the fridge so that it binds better for frying.
- 2.You may also Dip the patties in the whisked egg so that it binds better and does not crack or fall apart during frying.
- 3.Cook the mutton till it is tender so that it gets a crunchy texture when fried later.
- Tender meat is when the water content from it has evaporated to give you a brownish colour.
- 4. Cook the minced mutton over allow heat for 20 mins stirring continuously, otherwise the meat would brown quickly and stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Category: starter, Snacks, Sides
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: shami kabab, shami kabab recipe, mutton kebab, kebab recipe