The Mutton Shami kabab is a great starter dish for lunch or dinner and can even be had as a tasty snack. It is perfectly spiced with the intoxicating spice blend and makes everything better!
What You'll Find in This Post (Show all)
What is Mutton Shami kabab?
A delicious snack from the authentic Hyderabadi cuisine,
It is a perfect blend of authentic flavours of the rich and aromatic spices that make the mutton kebab tasty.
A delectable texture of the kabab – crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside gives it an exciting texture to enjoy.
This Mutton kebab is easy to prepare. It is an all-time purpose dish and can be served with any accompaniment of your choice.
Shami kababs can be vegetarian or chicken too, but we are going to prepare it with mutton.
My family simply loved this lip-smacking dish because of the taste and flavour.
It uses simple ingredients and can be cooked by anyone. Do give this recipe a try.
Why this recipe works:
- Super delicious
- High protein content
- Easy to prepare
- The beautiful combination of spices and texture
How to make Shami kebab:
Tips to make the best mutton kebab:
1. You may Refrigerate the ground dough in the fridge so that it binds better for frying.
2. You may also Dip the patties in the whisked egg so that it binds better and does not crack or fall apart during frying.
3.Cook the mutton till it is tender so that it gets a crunchy texture when fried later.
4. Tender meat is when the water content from it has evaporated to give you a brownish colour.
5.. Cook the minced mutton over Low heat for 20 mins stirring continuously, otherwise, the meat would brown quickly and stick to the bottom of the pan.
1. If the Shami kabab mixture is too mushy, what do I do?
The mixture can become mushy due to various reasons, one of the main reason being high water content, but it can be fixed easily.
Depending on the quantity, add a slice of bread and knead it well. Bread absorbs the moisture and makes your mixture just right to fry.
2. How to prevent the mutton kababs from cracking and breaking?
If the mixture is too dry or too watery, it may crack and break while frying.
Dip the flattened patty into a bowl of whisked egg and then fry it.
The egg acts as a binder and prevents the kabab from breaking.
3. How to reheat the kabab recipe?
If you plan to freeze the kabab after frying it, you can reheat it in a preheated oven or you can grease a pan and thaw it on low heat.
Cook covered so that it doesn’t dry up and crumble.
4. How long can I store the kabab?
Place all the kebabs in the tray and freeze them. Then transfer to the freezer-safe container or zip lock bags.
You can store it in the freezer for up to 1 month. Reheat while serving.
5. How to serve the mutton kabab?
This dish is best served with a spicy green chutney and slices of lemon. You can garnish it with coriander leaves.
If you want to go rogue and experiment with flavours, you can try the kabab with spicy red chilli sauce or green chilli sauce or ketchup.
Mutton kebab can never taste bad however you serve it.
Other Recipes you may like to try:
Murg Malai Kebab
Chicken Malai Tikka
Chicken Tikka Masala
Grill Chicken Recipe
Indian Chicken Tikka
Do Check out All Mutton Recipes Here
★ DID YOU TRY THIS MUTTON SHAMI KEBAB RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
♥ Spread the Love If you make this recipe, share your food photo with hashtag #nithisclickncook on Facebook or Instagram, So we can see it and others can enjoy too! Thank you ♥
The Hyderabadi Mutton Shami kabab is a great starter dish for lunch or dinner and can even be had as a tasty snack. It is perfectly spiced with intoxicating spice blend and makes everything better!
- 300 grams – Minced mutton
- 1/4 cup – channa dal
- 6 garlic pods
- 2-inch ginger pieces
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 3 dry red chillies
- 1 cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 2 teaspoon oil (for shallow fry)
- Heat oil in a pan, once the oil is heated up. Add minced mutton, channa dal, ginger, garlic, peppercorns, cardamom, cloves, dry red chillies, fennel seeds, mint and coriander leaves.
- Over low medium heat, stir and cook. The water from the mutton naturally comes off. Keep stirring until the moisture is completely absorbed.
- Slowly stir and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, till the mutton is well cooked. You can check for the doneness, just by pressing the channa dal and minced mutton.
- Bring the mixture to room temperature and add to a blender and grind to a fine mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and knead for 2 minutes to make a smooth dough.
- Take a lemon sized ball and gently press in your palm to make a round shape and set aside.
- Add oil To a pan, over low- medium heat, place the kebab gently and cook for 1 or 2 minutes till the kebabs turn to a nice golden colour.
Tips to prepare the best mutton Shami kabab:
- 1.You may Refrigerate the ground dough in the fridge so that it binds better for frying.
- 2.You may also Dip the patties in the whisked egg so that it binds better and does not crack or fall apart during frying.
- 3.Cook the mutton till it is tender so that it gets a crunchy texture when fried later.
- Tender meat is when the water content from it has evaporated to give you a brownish colour.
- 4. Cook the minced mutton over allow heat for 20 mins stirring continuously, otherwise the meat would brown quickly and stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Category:starter, Snacks, Sides
Keywords: shami kabab, shami kabab recipe, mutton kebab, kebab recipe