Rogan Josh – an Indian lamb curry taste straight out of a restuarantant. It is wonderfully delicious with tender, succulent lamb cooked with right spices of ingredients. The Kashmir Chili Peppers adds to the visual oomph of the dish. It is delish to satisfy ones food fetish.
- 500 grams Mutton/lamb
- 2 tablespoon Oil ( vegetable oil or mustard oil )
- 2 cardamoms
- 2 stick cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 2-star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 onion
- 2 tomato
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1.5 Tablespoon Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1.5 tablespoon Red chili paste
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg powder
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoon Ginger (Julienne)
- Diced onion and tomato should be blended to a fine puree in a blender.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and then add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise, and bay leaf.
- Stir for a few seconds. Stir in the tomato and onion puree, salt, and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, or until the raw smell goes away.
- Stir in the ginger-garlic paste until the raw smell is gone.
- Add the lamb/mutton. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly until the onion-tomato puree is well coated with mutton.
- Combine all of the spices, including chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala turmeric powder, and chili paste.
- Stir fry till the raw smell of the spices disappears, it would take around 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add Yoghurt, Tomato puree, ginger powder, and nutmeg powder. Keep stirring for another 5 minutes.
- Add enough water to coat the lamb or mutton to make gravy. Add 1 teaspoon of ghee.
- Check for salt. Cover and pressure cook for 30 minutes.
Puree the onion and tomato that gives you silky smooth Lamb gravy.
Always prefer using freshly grounded ginger garlic paste for best flavors and aroma.
Sear the meat with spices, that helps to meat to be flavorful.
I have used instant Pot to make rogan josh, you can also pressure cooker or one pot to slow cook.
Slow cooking at low temperature / flame for over 1 hours, makes the meat soft.
You can also cook the Stew the lamb first and use the same at liquid to make the dish. This retaining the nutrients of the meat.
If using saffron, then soak it in luke warm milk for 5-10 minutes and add the saffron finally.
- Category: Maincourse
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Rogan Josh, lamb rogan josh, lamb curry