Rogan Josh – an Indian lamb curry taste straight out of a restaurant. It is wonderfully delicious with tender, succulent lamb cooked with the right spices of ingredients. The Kashmir Chili Peppers adds to the visual oomph of the dish. It is delish to satisfy one’s food fetish!
About Lamb Rogan josh:
A delightful delicacy from the crown of India – Kashmir.
Jam-packed with authentic aromatic spices, this dish is traditionally slow-cooked to satiate every single tastebud.
Being part of Kashmir’s staple diet, Lamb Rogan Josh was initially brought to India by the Mughals.
This is a traditional recipe from the heart of Kashmir. Made with red meat, preferably goat or lamb meat, it is slow-cooked to enhance the flavors.
The meat is braised with mixed flavorful aromatic spices (garlic, ginger, cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves, and cardamom ).
The red chilies and Kashmiri chili bring about the dazzling color to Lamb Rogan Josh. It is a thick gravy dish with lots of drama, tastes best with naan and or rice.
This Lamb curry is,
- The aromatic and flavor spices are available in every kitchen and no need to hunt for exotic replacements.
- Red meat (lamb) can be replaced with goat/beef as well.
- Traditionally it is slow-cooked, hence enhances the flavors and the meat is cooked perfectly well. You can pressure cook as well.
Ingredients & The Notes:
- Lamb or mutton: If you are using frozen lamb, thaw the lamb thoroughly before adding to the curries.
- Spices: Use Kashmiri red chili powder to get an authentic color of rogan josh.
- Dry red chilies: Soak the 4 to 5 Dry red chilies in warm water and ground to a fine paste.
- Tomato Puree: You can use store-bought Tomato puree that gives you the right tanginess to the curry.
- Ginger powder &
nutmeg powder: The nutmeg powder and ginger powder gives you the gravy aroma that is required for rogan josh.
Step By Step Instructions:
- To a blender, add Diced onion and tomato and blend them to a fine puree. ( Photos 1 & 2)
- Add oil in a deep pot, once the oil heats up, add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise, and bay leaf. Stir in for few seconds. ( Photo 3)
- Add tomato & Onion puree, salt stir fry for another 3 to 4 minutes till the raw smell disappears. ( Photo 4 )
- Add ginger-garlic paste, stir fry till the raw smell disappears. ( Photos 5 & 6)
- Add washed lamb/mutton, Stir well so that the onion-tomato puree is well coated with mutton, and continue cooking for another 5 to 7 minutes. (Photos 7 & 8)
- Add in all the spices, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala turmeric powder, and chili paste. ( Photos 9 & 10)
- Stir fry till the raw smell of the spices disappears, it would take around 4 to 5 minutes. ( Photo 11)
- Add Yoghurt, Tomato puree, ginger powder, and nutmeg powder. Keep stirring for another 5 minutes. ( Photos 12 &13)
- Add enough water to coat the lamb or mutton to make gravy. Add 1 teaspoon of ghee. Check for salt. Cover and pressure cook for 30 minutes. ( Photo 14)
- Puree the onion and tomato that gives you silky smooth Lamb gravy.
- Always prefer using freshly grounded ginger garlic paste for the best flavors and aroma.
- Sear the meat with spices, which helps to meat to be flavorful.
- I have used an Instant Pot to make rogan josh, you can also pressure cooker or one pot to slow cook.
- Slow cooking at low temperature/flame for over 1 hour, makes the meat soft.
- You can also cook the Stew of the lamb first and use the same liquid to make the dish. This retaining the nutrients of the meat.
- If using saffron, then soak it in lukewarm milk for 5-10 minutes and add the saffron finally.
- What should I serve with Rogan Josh?
The sauce is rich and this dish goes amazingly well with steamed rice, paratha, Naan recipe.
- What Lamb Cut is best for Curry?
Always prefer to buy the lamb with bone that gives you wonderful flavors to the lamb curry. The meat cut from the shoulder or the leg are fairly lean.
- Can I prep Lamb curry in advance?
If you would like your Lamb rogan josh comes together quickly, you can prep the ingredients in the day or night before.
You can make the Rogan josh sauce and store it in a container and the next day you can add the lamb and cook till the lamb are tender.
Or you can chop all the ingredients in advance and store them in a separate airtight container and refrigerate.
- Can I make this lamb rogan josh ahead of time?
Yes! This curry tastes better the next days, so it is best for meal preps, lunches, or dinner.
- How long the curry is good for?
The leftover Rogan josh should be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When stored properly it stays well and good for 2 days.
- Can I freeze the Kashmiri rogan josh?
Yes! You can freeze rogan josh. To freeze, let the curry cool down, Transfer the gravy to an air-tight container or freezer bag. Make sure to squeeze out excess air. Seal and label it.
- How to Reheat?
Transfer the rogan josh to a saucepan, cover, and simmer until the curry is warmed up.
- Can this dish be made as a thick gravy?
Yes! Consistency is your preference. If you would like to thicken the gravy, keep cooking in an open pot until you get the desired consistency.Can this be cooked in a pot?
Cooking on a pot is one way people prepare. Keep the pot on low flame and cook with the lid on.
Other Recipes You may like to try:
Did you know commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways you can support your favorite food bloggers? If you made this recipe, please click the stars below to comment and Rate this Recipe and/or share photos on social media using the hashtag #Nithisclickncook or tagging @nithisclickncookPrint