Chettinad Mushroom Biryani
Mushroom Biryani is about to become your family’s favorite recipe that goes well with simple raita or practically everything
- Author: Nithya Narasimhan
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
- Category: Maincourse
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: indian
- Diet: Vegetarian
To make spice powder:
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 2 cardamom
- 1-star anise
- 1 mace
- 4 cloves
- 1 stick Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon peppercorns
To make Biryani:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 cinnamon ( a small stick)
- 3 cloves
- 2 bay leafs
- 1-star anise
- 2 onions (medium size)
- 2 green chili
- 3/4 cup coriander leaves (Divided 1/4 cup to add )
- 3/4 cup mint leaves (Divided 1/4 cup to add)
- 1 tomato (large )
- 1.5 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2.5 cups mushroom (Diced)
- 1/4 cup Curd
- 1 cup Seeraga Samba Rice
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt ( taste preference)
To make a spice powder:
- Roast all the spices for few seconds till the aroma is evident. Transfer to a blender and grind to a fine powder.
To make Biryani:
- Heat 1 tbs oil and 2 Tbs Ghee in a pressure cooker, add 1 cinnamon, 3 cloves, 2 bay leaf, 1-star anise. Then, add 2 sliced onions, 2 green chilies. Saute the onions, salt, and green chili till they turn to a light brown color.
- Add 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste, stir fry till the raw smell of the ginger-garlic paste leaves off.
- Add 1/2 cup coriander leaves and 1/2 cup mint leaves, stir fry for few seconds.
- Add 1 chopped tomato and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy, it would take 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add 1.5 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, and the freshly ground spice powder, stir and cook till the raw smell of the spices leaves off.
- Add 2.5 cups diced mushroom, saute the mushroom for 4 minutes. Then, add 1/4 cup curd give a Stir.
- Add 1 cup seerga samba Rice, Mix the rice with the masala.
- Add 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup of coconut milk, chopped 1/4 cup mint leaves, and coriander leaves. Check for salt and pressure cook for 2 Hisses. Mushroom Biryani is ready to be served.
- If you want the perfect biryani, I recommend you to use the seeraga samba rice. It gives you a distinct texture and flavor. However, you can use the rice of your choice but ensure that your rice to water ratio is proportionate.
- Soak the rice for 30 minutes before cooking. This ensures that your rice is cooked just right, – not too hard or not too mushy.
- Rice contains a lot of starch which will cause the rice to stick together, to eliminate the mushy problem rinse the rice until the water runs clear.
- Use a heavy bottom pan or pressure cooker, the nonstick pan helps the protective barrier between rice and the pan.
- Once you chop the mushroom, spread it on some paper towels so that the excess moisture is absorbed. Mushroom tends to release water and this may make your biryani soggy.
- Use a heavy-bottomed pan so that your biryani doesn’t burn or stick.
- Use freshly ground ginger garlic paste to bring out the best flavors in biryani.
- Coconut milk has unique flavors to this biryani, you may use store-bought coconut milk too.
Keywords: mushroom Biryani , mushroom biryani recipe, kalan biryani