Delicious & Crispy Paruppu Vadai is the deep fried lentil mixture mixed with onions, curry leaves, coriander, ginger and chillies. Its an excellent tea-time snacks.
- 1 cup Channa dal
- 2 Onions
- 1 Green chills
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Salt
- 5 Dry Red chiliies
- 1 inch Ginger
- 6 Garlic
- 1 tbs Fennel seeds
- Firstly soak channa dal for 2 hours, then drain out the water and keep them ready to grind.
- Finely chop the onions, green chili and curry leaves, keep them ready to be mixed.
- Grind dry redchillies, fennel seeds, garlic and ginger to a coarse paste.
- To a same blender, add drained channa dal and grind to a coarse mixture
- Grind all channa dal in batches and collect them in mixing bowl.
- To a channa mixture add chop onions , chillies and curry leaves. Gently mix them.
- Check for salt.
- Heat up some oil to deep fry,When the oil is ready, Take a lemon sized ball, lightly pat them in your palm( refer pictures) gently drop them in oil.Using a slotted spoon, turnover for 3 to 5 mins
- Fry the Vadas till its turns out golden and crispy
Tips to make best masala vada/paruppu vada:
1.Soak the channa dal for 2 to 3 hours is must.
2.Do not add water to grind the channa dal, the moisture in channa dal is enough to grind a mixture.
3.Grind a channa dal to a coarse mixture.
4.For more flavours add chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves.
5.Carefully slide the masala vada and turn over using slotted spoon.Deep fry the masala vada over a low-medium flame until they are golden brown and perfectly crisp.
6.Flatten the masala vada in your palm to get a crispy masala vada. If the masala vada/paruppu vada is dense it won’t turn out crispier.
- Category: Appetiser, Appetizer, Starter, starter/snacks
- Cuisine: Indian, south Indian