Masala Vada – Delicious & Crispy Paruppu Vadai is the deep fried lentil mixture mixed with onions, curry leaves, coriander, ginger and chillies. Its an excellent tea-time snacks.
Masala vada recipe / dal vada recipe – A popular South Indian snack made using bengal gram i.e chana dal, mixture of spices added to the roughly grounded chana dal mixture to make these crispy vadai.
Paruppu vadai /dal vadai recipe is my all time favourite snack during my school days or even now.
CRISPINESS INSIDE, CRUNCHY OUTSIDE… Making it really perfect. I always make this vada mixture and store it in the fridge and and use it for next 2 to 3 days. I usually serve as a tea time snacks, a crunchy bite with a sip of hot tea. This is all you need for a perfect evening.
Give a try to this recipe and let me know how its turned out!!
Why this Recipe works:
This masala vada is so crunchy.
Extremely easy to make! pantry ingredients.
Can be served as snacks or sides.
How to make Masala Vada/Paruppu vadai with step by step pictures:
Tips to make the best masala vada/paruppu vada:
Soak the channa dal for 2 to 3 hours is a must.
Do not add water to grind the channa dal, the moisture in channa dal is enough to grind a mixture.
Grind a channa dal to a coarse mixture.
For more flavours add chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves.
Carefully slide the masala vada and turn over using a slotted spoon. Deep fry the masala vada over a low-medium flame until they are golden brown and perfectly crisp.
Flatten the masala vada in your palm to get a crispy masala vada. If the masala vada/paruppu vada is dense it won’t turn out crispier.
How do you served masala vada or Paruppu vada?
This is best served as a snacks with hot tea. You can also serve a sides for simple Rasam rice or curd rice.
How long can I store masala vada/dal vada mixture?
Masala vada mixture can be refrigerator for 3 to 4 days in an properly stored air-tight container.
I cannot shape my masala vada, how to fix it?
Add 1 or 2 tbs of rice flour to hold the shape.
Similar Recipes you would like to try:
- Classic Falafel Recipe
- Tender Coconut Sukke
- Cheesy Mashed Potato Balls
- Spicy Green banana Patties
- Egg Croquettes
- Andhra Mirchi Bajii
For All Starter Recipe: Starter/Snacks
★DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!Print
Masala Vada/Paruppu Vada
Delicious & Crispy Paruppu Vadai is the deep fried lentil mixture mixed with onions, curry leaves, coriander, ginger and chillies. Its an excellent tea-time snacks.
- Prep Time: 120 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
- Category: Appetiser, Appetizer, Starter, starter/snacks
- Cuisine: Indian, south Indian
- 1 cup Channa dal
- 2 Onions
- 1 Green chills
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Salt
- 5 Dry Red chiliies
- 1 inch Ginger
- 6 Garlic
- 1 tbs Fennel seeds
- Firstly soak channa dal for 2 hours, then drain out the water and keep them ready to grind.
- Finely chop the onions, green chili and curry leaves, keep them ready to be mixed.
- Grind dry redchillies, fennel seeds, garlic and ginger to a coarse paste.
- To a same blender, add drained channa dal and grind to a coarse mixture
- Grind all channa dal in batches and collect them in mixing bowl.
- To a channa mixture add chop onions , chillies and curry leaves. Gently mix them.
- Check for salt.
- Heat up some oil to deep fry,When the oil is ready, Take a lemon sized ball, lightly pat them in your palm( refer pictures) gently drop them in oil.Using a slotted spoon, turnover for 3 to 5 mins
- Fry the Vadas till its turns out golden and crispy
Tips to make best masala vada/paruppu vada:
1.Soak the channa dal for 2 to 3 hours is must.
2.Do not add water to grind the channa dal, the moisture in channa dal is enough to grind a mixture.
3.Grind a channa dal to a coarse mixture.
4.For more flavours add chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves.
5.Carefully slide the masala vada and turn over using slotted spoon.Deep fry the masala vada over a low-medium flame until they are golden brown and perfectly crisp.
6.Flatten the masala vada in your palm to get a crispy masala vada. If the masala vada/paruppu vada is dense it won’t turn out crispier.
Update Notes: This post was originally posted in 2014 but was rewritten and republished with new photos and step by step instructions and tips in July of 2019.