This Malabar mutton stew is hearty, flavorful, warm, and nourishing comfort of the bowl. It is loaded with juicy, succulent mutton with carrots and potato and the coconut milk gives you the most amazing flavourful stew recipe.
- 1/2 kg Mutton /lamb
- 3 tablespoon Coconut oil
- 2 onion (large, sliced, thinly, divided)
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon Ginger ( peeled, julienned, divided)
- 5 green chilies (slit, divided)
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 1 potato
- 1 carrot
- 2 cups Coconut milk ( thin extract, divided)
- 1 cup Coconut milk ( thick extract)
- 2 stick Cinnamon
- 1.5 teaspoon peppercorns
- 5 cloves
- 1 cardamom
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed.
- Let’s make fresh spice powder: Add peppercorns, fennel seeds, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and cardamom into a blender and grind to a fine powder.
- To a pressure cooker mutton/ lamb: Add mutton, sliced onions, slit green chilies, crushed garlic, ginger, curry leaves, 1/2 teaspoon of spice powder, and 1 teaspoon coconut oil.
- Season with salt and 1 cup of thin coconut milk extract. Cover with lid and pressure cook for 5 hisses until the mutton is cooked tender.
- Meanwhile, Boil potato and carrot until it is tender.
- To make the stew: To a deep pan, add 1.5 tablespoons of coconut oil, once the oil heats up, add curry leaves, ginger, and green chilies. Stir fry for few seconds.
- Add sliced onions, fry them to a light golden color.
- Once the onion turns brown, add cooked mutton.
- Now, add 1 cup of coconut milk and all the reserved spice powder. Cook for 15 minutes until the coconut milk has reduced and slightly thickened.
- Add boiled potato and carrot.
- Add thick coconut milk, stir to combine. Turn of the heat.
- Finally, drizzle some 1 teaspoon coconut oil and a sprig of curry leaves. Cover with lid for 5minutes before serving, let all the flavors Meld together.
- Malabar mutton stew is ready.
You can also dry roast the spices and blend them into a fine powder.
You can use other veggies likes beans or peas.
Always prefer making the stew with freshly extracted coconut milk for the best results or buy the tinned coconut milk from the reputed brands.
Adjust the number of green chilies according to your spice level.
Don’t use cornflour to thicken the stew, if you prefer thickening, soak cashews in warm water and grind to a fine paste and add into the stew.
- Category: Maincourse
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: mutton stew, Mutton recipe, Stew recipe