This Malabar mutton stew is hearty, flavorful, warm, and nourishing comfort of the bowl. It is loaded with juicy, succulent mutton with carrots and potato and the coconut milk gives you the most amazing flavourful stew recipe.
Other Mutton recipes you may love to try: Kerala Mutton curry, Chettinad Mutton Sukka, Kongunad Mutton curry, Mutton Shami Kebab, Rajasthani Laal Maas, Best ever Mutton Chops, Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani, Madurai Mutton Kari Dosai
What is Mutton Stew?
Mutton Stew is one of my favorite comfort meals! They are extremely flavourful with tender mutton pieces with hearty vegetables.
The mutton is cooked with freshly ground spices and coconut milk gives you spikes of aromatic flavors.
The mutton stew is just the old comfort classic recipe and there are so many variations to it, Check out my other Mutton stew Recipe.
They are mild and slurpable. Even the pickiest eater will fall in love with them.
Make this Malabar mutton stew and it will become your family favorite.
If you are looking for the best Kerala/Malabar style mutton stew recipe ever, this is! It’s the ultimate comfort food and super easy to make.
Reason To love the stew recipe:
- Delicious– they are warm, the symphony of juicy mutton flavors infused with coconut milk brings out the layers of flavors and is deeply satisfying.
- Pantry Friendly– The ingredients are pantry friendly they are simple and you probably have almost all of them on hand.
- A large crowd– This hearty mutton stew serves beautifully well for your dinner parties or the large crowd.
Ingredients & The Notes:
Mutton/lamb– You can use Mutton or lamb for this recipe. Almost any cut can be used for the mutton stew, but the shoulder is best. It becomes tender and flavorful during stewing.
Coconut oil – Prefer using cold-pressed coconut oil for more flavors and also high in saturated fat.
Onion– I have used red onion, you can also opt for white onions as well.
Garlic & Ginger– Crush the garlic and ginger before you add-in.
Potato & Carrot– Potatoes taste like butter in the stew! Dice the veggies into large cubes.
Coconut milk– Freshly extracted coconut milk gives you great taste.
Curry leaves- This humble and lovely greens bring out the best taste to the mutton stew.
Spice powder– Freshly ground spice powder totally elevates the taste of the dish, if not you can use store-bought garam masala.
How to make Kerala Mutton Stew:
- Let’s make fresh spice powder: Add peppercorns, fennel seeds, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and cardamom into a blender and grind to a fine powder. (Photos 1& 2)
- To a pressure cooker mutton/ lamb: Add mutton, sliced onions, slit green chilies, crushed garlic, ginger, curry leaves. (Photos 3 & 4)
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of spice powder and 1 teaspoon coconut oil. (Photos 5 & 6)
- Season with salt and 1 cup of thin coconut milk extract. Cover with lid and pressure cook for 5 hisses until the mutton is cooked tender. (Photos 7, 8,9)
- Meal while you can boil potato and carrot. ( this is optional, you can also add them later) ( Photo 10)
- To make the stew: To a deep pan, add 1.5 tablespoons of coconut oil, once the oil heats up, add curry leaves, ginger, and green chilies. Stir fry for few seconds. (Photo 11)
- Add sliced onions, fry them to a light golden color. (Photos 12, 13)
- Once the onion turns brown, add cooked mutton. (Photo 14)
- Add 1 cup of coconut milk and all the reserved spice powder. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the coconut milk has reduced and slightly thickened. (Photos 15, 16, 17)
- Now add boiled potato and carrot. (Photos 18, 19)
- Add thick coconut milk, stir to combine. Turn of the heat. (Photo 20)
- Finally, drizzle some 1 teaspoon coconut oil and a sprig of curry leaves. Cover with lid for 5minutes before serving, let all the flavors Meld together. (Photos 21 & 22)
- Malabar mutton stew is ready.
- You can also dry roast the spices and blend them into a fine powder.
- You can use other veggies likes beans or peas.
- Always prefer making the stew with freshly extracted coconut milk for the best results or buy the tinned coconut milk from the reputed brands.
- Adjust the number of green chilies according to your spice level.
- Don’t use cornflour to thicken the stew, if you prefer thickening, soak cashews in warm water and grind to a fine paste and add into the stew.
How to prepare coconut milk from?
First, Grate the coconut.
Grind 3 cups of grated with 1.5 cups of warm water to get 1 cup of thick coconut milk.
Grind the same coconut with 2 cups water to get 1.5 cups of thin coconut milk.
How do I serve the stew?
The mutton stew is best served with Appam, Idiyappam.
Can I use frozen veggies?
Yes! You can use frozen veggies.
Can I make the stew with chicken?
Yes! You can use chicken. The chicken doesn’t need to be pressure cooked.
How long can I store the mutton stew?
Store the left-over mutton stew in an air-tight container. It stays good for a day in the refrigerator.
Other recipes you may like to try:
Did you know commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways you can support your favorite food bloggers?
If you made this recipe, please click the stars below to comment and Rate this Recipe and/or share photos on social media using the hashtag #Nithisclickncook or tagging @nithisclickncookPrint