- Moong dal- 1/2 cup
- Toor dal- 1/2 cup
- Onions- 2
- Tomato- 1
- Green chilli- 2
- Curryleaves- 1 string
- Vegetables- 2 cup (i used brinjal and carrot)
- Turmeric powder- 1 pinch
- Hing- 1 pinch
- Tamarind- a small lemon sized ball.
- Jaggery- 1 tsp
- DRY ROAST AND GRIND:
- Pepper- 1and 1/2 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli- 7 to 8
- Fenugreek seeds- 1tsp
- Channa dal- 1 tbs
- Cumin- 1tsp
- Dry roast the ingredients “TO DRY ROAST AND GRIND” into a fine powder.
- In a pressure cooker, add in moong dal, toor dal,onions,tomato,green chilli, curry leaves, veggies, turmeric powder, hing, cook for 1 whistle and mash the dal.
- Heat up the oil in the pan, add in oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves, add the mashed dal.
- Mix the grinded mixture with little water.
- Now add the grinded mixture, tamarind water, salt and bring to boil.
- Sprinkle some coriander leaves.
Add a pinch of jaggery after switching off the stove.. it makes the sambar more tastier.
Step by Step Pictures:
Take all the ingredients to dry roast.
Dry roast for 1 to 2 mins..
Set it cool for sometime..
Add in to the blender/mixer
Grind into a fine powder..
Transfer it to a small bowl
Mix the grinded mixture with little water.
Add the toor dal and moong dal in the pressure cooker..
Add in onions..
Next goes the tomatoes, green chilles, curry leaves.
Add all the veggie’s i used brinjal and carrot.. and a turmeric powder..
Add 1 and 1/2 cup of water..
Pressure cook for 1 or 2 whistles..
Mash all the dal and veggies and keep aside
In a another kadai, heat up the oil, add in mustard and curry leaves.
Once it splutters, add the mashed dal..
Now the grinded masala mixture..
Add in the Tamarind extract..
Another 1/2 cup of water.. if u find the sambar is very thick, you can add another 1/2 cup of water..
Add in salt..and close the lid, bring the sambar to boil!!
Serve it with little ghee on top… sprinkle some corienderleaves and curry leaves .
Idly Sambar is Ready to be served! If you tried this recipe please let us know! Take a picture and post it on Facebook or instagram #nithisclickncook. We would love to see what you have come up with!