The rich and delicious creamy beverage, Horchata is humble yet super refreshing. With its sweet, light-colored texture, you will have experienced the taste of an ancient cultured drink with a twist.
- 1/2 cup Long grain rice (Basmati Rice, uncooked)
- 1/4 Almonds
- 2 Cinnamon stick
- 2.5 cups Water
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Milk
- 5 peppercorns
- Add rice, cinnamon sticks, and almonds to a blender, add 2.5 cups of water, and pulse for few seconds until everything blends well, just shake the jar and again pulse for another few seconds.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Set aside to cover and refrigerate for 6 hours.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve.
- To the mixture, add milk, vanilla essence, sugar, mix well and serve with ice if desired.
- If you have tiger nuts, it’s a big yes for a stronger and a sweeter taste, otherwise, Almonds will work totally fine.
- You can also soak the rice and cinnamon for at least 8 hours or overnight, the creamier and tastier it will be.
- For a smoky ingredient, you can toast the rice before soaking the rice
- Straining at least twice is imperative to get that smooth texture; you might want to use a fine-mesh strainer or a cheesecloth.
- Having a blender in hand is a weapon indeed to get that needed flavor and texture.
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: horchata, horchata recipe, mexican drink