Making Homemade Thai Red Curry Paste is super easy, fresh, delicious, and much flavourful than the store-bought!
What is Thai Red curry paste?
Thai cuisine is one of my favorite cuisines, it has rich spices, the magic blend of seasonings, and remarkably food always plays a vital role in Thailand culture.
Red Curry Paste (Thai:พริกแกงเผ็ด Red curry) is a type of curry paste in Thai cuisine. The name of the dish is derived based on the color of the curry paste.
These curry paste are something you cannot miss them, They are seriously an amazing spice blend! It is known for its rich, lovely blend of spices, signature color, and bold flavors.
Unlike the store-bought paste, you can control the amount of spiciness and flavors to your paste.
Making Classic Thai Red Curry recipe from the homemade Red curry paste is so flavorful and all comes together in under 15 minutes!
This Red curry paste recipe is used as the base of the Thai red curry chicken Recipe which is simmered in coconut milk.
Reason to love this curry paste:
- It is easy to make, low on effort, and all you need to blend to get the curry paste.
- You can control the amount of spiciness of the curry paste!
- Homemade Red Curry paste is more much more flavourful than the store-bought.
- You can store or freeze the Red curry paste and can make so many recipes from soup to curry.
Thai Red curry paste Ingredients:
The ingredients are so simple and fresh!
- Coriander leaves: Fresh coriander leaves gives you the best flavor, earthy.
- Shallots: This gives has a mild intense flavor to the curry paste, however, you can also substitute with red onions.
- Lemongrass: I have used fresh lemongrass for this recipe, Trim the top and base of the stalk, you want to use only the bottom of the lemongrass. Peel the outer cover and use. This lemongrass has the most unique flavor to the curry paste. Some people say lemongrass can be substituted with the lemon zest to the zest flavor.
- Galangal: the Galangal looks similar to ginger but it has a hard skin, the skin is slightly difficult to peel off. Galangal is widely available in the Asian section of your grocery store. You can also substitute with ginger.
- Dry Red chilies: Usually for the chilies used for the Thai recipe are bird’s eye chili and cayenne peppers. The bird’s eye chili is very spicy, where as cayenne pepper is usually added for the color.I have used only Dry Red chili for the heat of the curry paste. I Soaked them in hot water, which helps for the easy blending.
- Kaffir lime leaves: This one ingredient is epic for that curry paste. The leaves are extremely flavor and unique citrus flavor and that gives your Thai curry paste delicious.
- Spice powder: I have roasted coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and peppercorns for few seconds and then I have powdered it, which has certainly enhance the flavor.
You can also substitute with coriander powder, cumin powder, and pepper powder.
How To Make Thai Red Curry Paste:
- You can ground the paste coarsely or smoothly as per your preference.
- The fresh ingredients always give you the best flavor and taste.
- Traditionally the paste is grounded in mortar and pestle. If you intend to ground win mortar and pestle. Chop all the ingredients that help in easy pounding.
- The spice level is truly your preference, you can increase the try by adding Thai chilies that have strong heat.
1.How long will curry paste last?
Store the Thai Red curry in an airtight container and refrigerate for a week. The green curry paste stays well and good.
2.Can I Freeze Red curry?
Transfer the Red curry to an ice cube tray and freeze the tray till it hardened and then store in a freezer-safe bag for 2 months.
3. Is curry paste vegan?
Yes, This Thai Red curry paste is vegan.
4. Where do I get galangal, lemongrass, kaffir leaves?
Galangal, lemongrass, kaffir leaves are predominantly used in Thai cuisine. It is available in the Asian section in your grocery store.
5. What can we make with thai Red curry?
The Authentic Thai Red curry recipe can be made, and the Red curry is widely used for Laksa, soup, stew, curries, Noodles, salad dressings.
Other Recipes You’ll love to try:
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!Print