The Green Bean Casserole recipe is all from Scratch, it incredibly easy to make with homemade fried onions and homemade Cream of Mushroom soup, this recipe will certainly blow your mind.
How to make Green Bean Casserole:
The smooth and creamy sauce and the unmatched flavour magically combined with sheer simplicity makes the Green Bean Casserole so appealing.
I adapted the recipe from here.
It is truly a magical dish because all it takes is very less ingredients (you can sprinkle in your additions too) and 10 minutes to have a baking hot casserole on your table to relish.
The greatest factor that makes this green bean recipe a hit is that it you can choose how to flavour it and play around with tastes.
You can get creative each time you make this dish and every variation is exciting!
My family were over the moon when they had the green bean casserole
They loved the delectable flavour. This dish is a great way to get your kids to eat beans.
Why this recipe works:
- There is no hard and fast rule about the flavors – you can use the sauce and spices of your choice and choose whether to add mushrooms or cheese or anything else that you love.
- 6 major ingredients that are ever-present in your kitchen so that you can prepare this bean dish anytime you want.
- Minimal prep and 10 minutes to have this dish hot and creamy on your table.
Ingredients & The Notes:
- Onion: You can use yellow onion or red onion.
- Panko breadcrumbs: These are Japanese bread crumbs sold in every grocery store where breadcrumbs are available. They are crisper and absorb less moisture.
- Salt &Pepper: Adjust the seasoning as per your preference.
- Egg: Egg gives you a good binding agent for the onions.
- Green Beans: Use Fresh Green beans, trim both ends cut them in half if the beans are quite long in size.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter, so that you can control the amount of salt in your green bean casserole.
- Garlic: mince the garlic finely.
- Mushroom: I have used white button mushroom, you may cremini mushroom, shiitakes, oyster.
- Chicken stock: Use low sodium chicken broth so that we can control the salt. You can add chicken stock cubes in hot water to make instant chicken stock.
- Heavy cream: this gives you a very smooth mushroom gravy.
How to Make Greenbeans Casserole:
To make Fried Onions:
- Preheat Airfry for 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Slice 4 onions thinly, To a bowl, add sliced onions, 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon pepper powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon milk. Mix well. (Photos 1,2,3,4)
- Once the air fryer is preheated. Spread the onion mixture over a basket in one layer. Sprinkle some oil. Close and air fry for 12 minutes, shaking in-between. (Photos 5 & 6)
To make Mushroom Sauce :
- Melt 2 tablespoon butter over medium heat, add 3 minced garlic. Stir and cook for few seconds. (Photo 7)
- Add 1 cup mushroom, saute the mushroom for 3 to 4 minutes. (Photo 8)
- Add 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder, 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano. Stir and cook for 3 minutes. (Photo 9)
- Add 3/4 of the cup chicken stock. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. (Photo 10)
- Meanwhile, blanch green beans in salted water. (Photo 11)
- Add fresh cream, once the sauce is lightly thickened, add blanched green beans and Air fryer onions. Give a mix. (Photos 12, 13,14,15)
- Transfer the green bean mixture to a casserole, sprinkle fried onions, and panko bread crumbs. (Photo 16)
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes 400 degrees C/ 200 degrees C. (Photo 17)
Tips to make the best greenbean casserole recipe:
1. If you want a mild extra flavor, you can boil the green peas in chicken broth and add it to the bean mixture before baking.
2. If you like spicy dishes, you can twist this bean dish by adding jalapenos or even olives for extra flavor in addition to the pepper.
3. Use fresh and slender beans to get the perfect texture. Overripe beans will have a fibery texture and will turn hard and stringy.
4. Preheat your oven as per instructions so that the beans get baked perfectly inside out.
1. How to store the green bean casserole?
You can store this dish in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
2. How long does it take for the beans to cook?
It takes about 10 minutes for the baking process. You will know that the beans are done when you see that its soft and tender.
If you add a cheese layer on top, you will know that the dish is baked when the cheese turns bubbly on the sides and becomes golden brown.
3. What can I serve in combination with green bean casserole?
A turkey or chicken main dish, cauliflower mashed potatoes, Cranberry sauce, mac ‘n cheese, etc. Are some of the things that go well with green bean casserole.
4. Can I use frozen Green beans?
Yes, you can use frozen green beans. They are fresh, blanched frozen.
You can use the green beans without blanching. Thaw the green beans first before you use them.
Other Recipes You may like to try:
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!Print