This chicken biryani is simply the homestyle biriyani recipe with lovely flavours of spices and it is quick and easy to make! This chicken biryani recipe has incredible Aromas-through and through not just the surface.
- 1/2 kg chicken
- 2 cups of rice
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cloves
- 2-star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 onions
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tomato
- 2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1teaspoon salt
Sprinkle on top:
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 2 sprigs of mint leaves
- To grind:
1 cup – coriander leaves
- 1 cup mint leaves.
- 5 garlic pods
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1tablespoon peppercorns
- 3 green chillies.
- 2 cloves
- Wash and rinse the basmati rice a couple of times and soak prior to cooking 20 minutes.
- To a blender, add mint leaves, coriander leaves, peppercorns, green chillies, ginger, garlic and cloves. Grind to a fine paste, add little water if you need.
- Heat ghee and oil in saute pan, add cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, star anise. Let the spices sizzle for a few seconds.
- Then add sliced onions, salt and green chilli. Stir fry and cook for 2 to 3minutes.
- Now add grounded masala, stir fry and cook for 5 mins, until the raw smell disappears.
- Add chopped tomato, stir fry and cook for 2 mins till tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add chilli powder and turmeric powder. Cook for 2 to3 mins.
- Add chicken pieces stir fry and cook for 5 mins.
- Add soaked basmati rice, gently mix them.
- Transfer the chicken with rice to the rice cooker, add enough water.
- Sprinkle chopped mint leaves and ghee. Cover with the lid.
- The rice cooker turns off after 20 minutes.
- Coriander leaves &Mint leaves:
Mash sure to wash the leaves thoroughly to remove all the tiny impurities. Adding mint leaves is very important in biryani preparation as the whole flavours depend on this mint leaves.
- Ghee and oil: Ghee is similar to clarified butter has very distinct and nutty flavours, that gives you a lovely aroma in biryani recipe.
Ghee is widely available in the local grocery store/ any Indian grocery market.
- Basmati Rice: Soak the basmati rice prior cooking. Stir fry the rice for just a few minutes that helps you to get the perfect texture of the biryani.
I have used basmati rice for this recipe, you may use seepage samba rice as well.
- The masala: Fry the masala till the raw smell disappears. You can see a thin layer of oil on the side of the pan, it is the sign the masala is cooked.
- Category: rice dishes
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: indian
Keywords: chicken biryani, biryani recipe, chicken biryani recipe