This sambar recipe can’t get any easier or more delicious! Easy to make, One Pot with amazing layers of flavour of dals and vegetable cooked together to bring out the lovely taste, they are simply a Dump in the ingredients and pressure cook.
To cook in the Pressure Cooker:
- 1/2 cup Toor dal
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tomatoes ( medium size)
- 1 onion (large)
- 4 green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves ( chopped)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 5 Dry red chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida
- Wash the toor dal couple of times in running water and keep it ready. Slice onions thinly and chop the tomatoes.
- Slit the green chilies.
To pressure cook:
- To a pressure cooker, add toor dal, onion, tomato, garlic, green chili, cumin seeds, coriander leaves, curry leaves, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Add 4 cups of water. And Pressure cook for 4 Hisses. The pressure has to release naturally.
- Once the dal and the vegetables are cooked, mash them lightly using a masher.
- Now, for seasoning: Heat 2 tablespoon of sesame oil in the saucepan, add cumin seeds, dry red chilies, curry leaves, and a pinch of asafetida. Stir fry for 2 seconds.
- Finally, add the mashed dal to the seasoning. Mix and let it cook for 2 or 3minutes.
- Dry Red chili sambar is ready to be served.
1.Toor dal: This is the type of lentils commonly called Toor dal also known as split pigeon peas
(Yellow). It is used in Indian cooking. They are easily available in the Asian section in the grocery store /local Indian supermarket.
2. Onion: I have used 1 medium-size red onion for this recipe, you could you shallots as well.
3.Green chilies: Green chilies have to be pressure-cooked with all the ingredients that level up the heat. The heat of the sambar is dependent on only green chili as we are not adding any spice powders.
4.Garlic: you can also pound the garlic and add them.
5.Curry leaves: Add the handful of fresh curry leaves that gives you more flavor to the sambar recipe.
6.Asafoetida: A pinch of Hing /Asafoetida gives you great flavor and taste to sambar. It has powerful flavors, so adding a pinch is enough to bring out the aroma.
7.Cumin seeds: Cumin seeds, also called by their Indian name jeera. It is one of the most important spices of Indian cooking. Here we use cumin seeds for seasoning/tempering, cooking the cumin seeds in oil is the key technique to bring out the earthy aroma of the cumin seeds.
7.Dry red chilies: Usually round dry red chilies are used for tempering, you may use Guntur chili as well.
While tempering the red chili keep the heat low, as it may turn to discoloration quickly.
- Category: Maincourse
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: indian
Keywords: sambar , sambar recipe , dry chili sambar, dry redchilli sambar