This Donne Biryani recipe is about to become your family’s favorite recipe that goes well with simple raita or practically everything.
To make Green Paste:
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 onion
- 5 green chilies
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 1 cardamom
- 6 garlic
- 2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup water
To make Biryani:
- 2 cups Seeraga samba rice
- 1/2 kgs chicken
- 2 teaspoon ghee
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 cup curd
- 2 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 3 cups water
To make the green Paste:
- Heat 1 tsp ghee and 1 tsp oil in saute pan, add 1 sliced onion, 5 green chilies, 6 garlic cloves, and 2 tsp ginger garlic paste. Stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Once the onions turn translucent, add fennel seeds, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and cardamom. Stir fry a few seconds.
- And then add mint leaves, coriander leaves and quickly turn off the heat, as the leaves get wilted by the heat of the pan. Bring down the temperature of the mixture and Transfer to a blender,add 1/4 cup of water and grind to a fine paste.
To make biryani:
- Heat ghee and oil in the pressure cooker. Add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise. Stir fry for few seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes, stir fry till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add chicken pieces, chilli powder.
- Stir and cook the chicken pieces for 5 minutes and add curd cook further 2 minutes.
- Add the green paste, mix well, continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Finally, add soaked seeraga samba rice, mix the rice gently and add 3 cups of water, check for salt, and pressure cook for 2 hisses. Donne Biryani is Ready to serve.
1. Rice: I have used seeraga samba rice, you may use Basmati rice as well. If you are using Basmati rice I recommend using good quality basmati rice for an authentic biryani taste and flavor.
Soak the rice in cold water for about 15 minutes before cooking.
2. Heavy bottom: Always use a heavy bottom pan or pressure cooker is that it doesn’t burn.
3. Green paste: The green paste is the base for this Donne biryani recipe, the whole flavor depends on this spice blend. Make sure to saute all the green paste ingredients, do not brown them, and quickly turn off the heat once you add mint leaves and coriander leaves otherwise the greens may turn brown. Also, you can increase the spice level as per your taste preference.
- Category: Maincourse
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Donne Biryani, chickpet donne biryani, Donne Biryani recipe