Donne Biryani – This Donne Biryani recipe is about to become your family’s favorite recipe that goes well with simple raita or practically everything.
If you’re looking for more Biryani recipes Soyachunks Biryani , Vermicelli Biryani , Prawn Biryani , Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani, chicken biryani , Egg Biryani (Dum style ) , kerala Fish Biryani , chicken Dum Biryani
What is Donne Biryani?
It is a famous delicacy in Bengaluru and this Donne biryani is very intrinsic in taste!
If you are from Banglore or ever been to, I’m sure you must be hearing about “ Donne biryani”
“Donne” translates to eco-friendly palm leaves. This special type of biryani is served in Donne that is pam leaf cups.
This Donne biryani is also referred to as nonveg pulao.
There are few places in Banglore like “ Shivaji military hotel” “ Gundappa Donne biryani” are all the best places to try this delicacy.
This recipe is a copycat of the Donne biryani, It is a delectable one pot-wonder, fluffy rice, lovely chunks of chicken pieces are well cooked in an Amazing green spice blend, it is wonderfully delicious, simple, and guaranteed to become your favorite recipe.
This Donne Biryani is simple and pantry-friendly ingredients that tasted just like a restaurant-style one.
This recipe is a huge hit in my family due to its complex flavor, although made with simple ingredients.
The following step-by-step pictures help you to prepare the best Donne biryani in a short time.
This Donne biryani recipe can be taken during any meal. All it takes is 2 simple steps
1. Make the Green paste
2. Cook the rice and the meat in one pot.
Why this Recipe works:
- Authentic flavors that give you the ultimate biryani experience
- Make the restaurant-style biryani at home with fresh and preferred ingredients without compromising on the exquisite taste.
- Indulge your family in this Donne biryani for any meal that you prefer.
Ingredients & The Notes:
1. what you’ll need to make green paste:
- Ghee: Ghee is similar to clarified butter has very distinct and nutty flavors, that give you a lovely aroma in the biryani recipe. Ghee is widely available in the local grocery store/ any Indian grocery market.
- Mint leaves &coriander leaves: Biryani without these humble ingredients? Is ever biryani existed without them? Never! Thoroughly wash the greens to remove impurities and add them with the onions.
- Spices: I have taken whole spices, keep an on eye while you fry the spices, it may burn quickly.
- Ginger-garlic paste: Nothing can beat the flavors of homemade ginger garlic paste! Make a fresh batch to get the best taste.
- Green Chillies: The heat of the biryani is dependent on green chilies, add them as much as your heat preference.
2.To Make Biryani:
- Ghee &Oil: You must use ghee and oil together to bring out the best flavors in biryani.
- Chicken: Any cut of chicken can be used, prefer bone-in for more flavors.
- Seeraga Samba Rice: Seeraga samba rice is aromatic rice traditionally grown in South India. The rice is known for its rich aroma and amazing taste which is also an unbeaten choice of biryani. For, Every 1 cup of Seeraga samba rice, requires 1.5 cups of liquid to cook.
You may use any long grain rice like basmati rice as well. Rinse the rice and soak for 10 to 15 mins before cooking.
- Tomato & Curd: I have added tomato and curd for mild tanginess to
Step By Step Instructions:
- To make the green Paste: Heat 1 tsp ghee and 1 tsp oil in saute pan, add 1 sliced onion, 5 green chilies, 6 garlic cloves, and 1 tsp ginger garlic paste. Stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes. (Photo 1)
- Once the onions turn translucent, add fennel seeds, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and cardamom. Stir fry a few seconds. (photo 2)
- Add mint leaves and coriander leaves and quickly turn off the heat, as the leaves get wilted by the heat of the pan. Transfer to a blender add 1/4 cup of water and grind to a fine paste. ( Photos 3, 4, 5)
- To make biryani: Heat ghee and oil in the pressure cooker. Add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise. Stir fry for few seconds. ( photo 6)
- Add chopped tomatoes, stir fry till the tomatoes turn mushy. ( photo 7)
- Add chicken pieces (Photo 8)
- Add chilli powder, Stir and cook the chicken pieces for 5 minutes and add curd cook further 2 minutes. (Photos 9, 10)
- Add the green paste, mix, and continue cooking for 5 minutes. ( photo 11)
- Finally, add soaked seeraga samba rice, (Photo 12)
- Give a gentle mix and add 3 cups of water, check for salt, and pressure cook for 2 hisses. Before serving, sprinkle dried fenugreek leaves. Donne Biryani is Ready to serve. (Photos 13, 14)
- Rice: I have used seeraga samba rice, you may use Basmati rice as well. If you are using Basmati rice I recommend using good quality basmati rice for an authentic biryani taste and flavor. Soak the rice in cold water for about 15 minutes before cooking.
- Heavy bottom: Always use a heavy bottom pan or pressure cooker is that it doesn’t burn.
- Green paste: The green paste is the base for this Donne biryani recipe, the whole flavor depends on this spice blend. Make sure to saute all the green paste ingredients, do not brown them, and quickly turn off the heat once you add mint leaves and coriander leaves otherwise the greens may turn brown. Also, you can increase the spice level as per your taste preference.
1. What goes well with Donne Biryani recipe?
This biryani goes well with raita, chicken 65, or chicken pakora.
2. How to store the leftovers?
Left-over biryani can be stored in an air-tight container and refrigerated for a day.
To reheat: transfer the portion to the pressure cooker, you may need to sprinkle little water and cover with a lid, heat up for 5 minutes until the rice is warmed up.
Or you can reheat in the microwave, transfer the rice to the microwave bowl, and heat for a minute.
3. Can I make this recipe in the instant pot?
Yes, you can make this recipe in the instant pot.
Follow the same recipe instruction and press the “rice” button and cook for 12 minutes.
4. How can make my biryani rice non-sticky?
Wash and rinse the rice to remove starch and soak in water for 15 minutes. This will help to remain non-sticky.
5. What is the water ratio for seeraga samba rice?
For every 1 cup of seeraga samba rice, it requires 1.5 cups of liquid.
Other Chicken Recipes You may like to try:
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!Print