- 1/2 cup Toor dal
- 1/4 cup moong dal
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 to mato
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 7 garlic cloves
- 1 tbs ginger
- 5 dry red chillies
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp asfoetida
- 2 cups water
- Throughly wash the dals under running water and add the dal to a pressure cooker.
- Chop the spinach and add it to the dal in the pressure cooker
- Add 1 chopped tomato,Add turmeric powder and salt
- Add 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Once the pressure has released,this is how the the spinach dal looks like.
- Heat up ghee/oil add cumin seeds, ginger and garlic, dry red chillies and curryleaves.
- Add chilli powder,Add hing, let it sizzle for a seconds.
- mash the dal and add in
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup of water
- Let it boil for 2 mins and serve
Tips to Make best Dal palak recipe:
Dals: Wash Your dals thoroughly under running water. I have used toor dal and moong dal for this recipe. You can use masoor dal/pink dal or use only toor dal.
Spinach/palak: Always prefer to Buy fresh spinach over the frozen/canned one to get all the flavours and nutrients.
Typically spinach cooks down when cooked. 1 cup of palak/spinach cooks down to less than 1/2 cup.
Greens: You can use amaranthus or methi instead of spinach.
Ghee/oil- to get more flavours you can see with ghee.
- Category: curry, gravy, gravy veg, Main Course
- Cuisine: Indian, northindian