Best and Simplified version of Classic French onion soup extremely flavourful, caramelized onions are simmered and served with crunchy bread with cheesy toppings! This is simple and Hearty soup!
- 6 – White onions
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs garlic
- 1 tbs flour
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 cup of water
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese
- Ingredients to make French onion soup are taken
- In a deep pot, heat up butter. Let it melts for a few seconds.
- Add minced garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add in sliced onions
- Give a good mix
- Over medium heat, cook the onions until they are nicely browned, that would take 20 to 25 mins. Stir the onions occasionally.
- Add flour and quickly mix well
- In goes some chicken stock and water.
- Add bay leaf, salt, and pepper
- Add dried rosemary.
- Let the soup simmer for 15 to 20 mins in low heat, stirring occasionally.
Before you serve:
- Toast the bread in the oven for by spreading the slices of bread in the baking sheet, broil for 3 mins and flip and broil for another 3 mins until they are crispy and golden.
- Place a toasted bread over the soup in a serving bowl
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the bread and broil for 3 to 5 mins till the cheeses are melted.
- Carefully take out from the oven and serve.
For individual serving:
- Simply you can toast the bread in the pan and flipping on Both the sides until they are golden.
- Spread some mozzarella cheese over the bread and cover with lid.
- once the mozzarella cheese melts away, carefully place over the soup and serve.
- Sprinkle red chili flakes and serve.
Tips to make the best French onion soup:
Onions: Slice the onions thinly, Caramelization of the onions is the most import process in making of French onion soup. Stirring occasionally helps the onions not to burn/stick to the bottom of the pan.
Originally beef stock is used in making French onion soup, I used chicken stock to make it. Use home-made chicken stock for best results.
I have used flour in this recipe, once the flour is added, mix in quickly so that the flour is combined well to avoid lumps. Adding flour also gives your soup slightly creamier.
Traditional Gruyere cheese is added, it is not available in my region, therefore I added mozzarella.
Simmer: Simmer the soup adds great flavor to the soup with rich and bold flavors.
- Category: Appetiser, Soup, Starter
- Cuisine: French