Chickpea Salad recipe – A hearty salad recipe with exotic fresh-cut vegetables and a simple salad dressing that makes it completely customizable and pantry-friendly.
What is chickpeas salad:
This chickpea salad is simple and quick to prepare, and it goes well with almost anything you serve. It’s light and fresh!
The salad dressing is simple and adaptable; spice it up however you like.
This is one of the healthiest ways to incorporate chickpeas into your diet because you will devour this salad recipe all year long because it is seriously AMAZING and packed with flavour!
Reason To love this salad recipe:
- It’s ideal for a nutritious breakfast! A bowl of chickpea salad is all you need to get your day started right. Simply soak them overnight, pressure cook them, and they’re ready to eat.
- Chickpeas have incredible health benefits. I used black chickpeas, but you could easily substitute white chickpeas in this recipe.
- To make it a more healthy and wholesome meal, add any vegetables you like.
Ingredients & the Notes:
- Black chickpeas: Prefer any chickpeas, white chickpeas, or black chickpeas. Both the legumes work perfectly well for this salad.
- Seasonings: I have used cumin powder, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. You may use za’atar spice, Morrocan spice blend, Mexican spice mix. Make it just the way you like them.
- Onion: I used red onion, it has a mild flavor. You can soak the onion to remove the harsh smell.
- Tomato: Use red plum tomatoes or cherry tomatoes.
- Mint leaves &
Coriander leaves: The greens give you lovely freshness to the salad.
- Olive oil: Prefer using Extra virgin olive oil.
- Lemon juice: This certainly going to complement all the flavors in the salad. Use fresh one, more than the bottled.
Step By Step Instructions:
- Wash the chickpeas several times before soaking them in freshwater for 6 to 7 hours. Transfer the chickpeas to a pressure cooker, season with salt, and pressure cook for 20 minutes, or until softened. The chickpeas should be drained. ( Step 1)
- If you gently press the chickpeas, they should soften. ( Step 2)
- To make the dressing, combine cumin powder, dried oregano, pepper powder, salt, lemon juice, and olive oil in a mixing bowl. Combine them thoroughly. ( Step 3 & 4)
- Toss the chickpeas with the salad dressing to coat. ( Step 5 & 6)
- Chop the onion, tomato, carrots, mint leaves and coriander leaves. Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Check for salt before serving. ( Step 7 & 8)
- Chickpeas are available in two varieties: white chickpeas and black chickpeas. Black chickpeas have a plethora of health benefits.
- They are high in protein and soluble fiber.
- If you have anemia, this iron-rich food can help you improve your hemoglobin levels.
- This chickpea acts as an antioxidant and protects against a variety of diseases.
- Regular consumption of black chickpeas strengthens the bones. It contains calcium and magnesium, both of which are necessary for increasing bone density.
- Because the food is high in fiber, it aids in weight loss by decreasing hunger pangs.
- The salad can be made with either white chickpeas or black peas. Soak the legume overnight or for at least 4 hours to facilitate quick cooking. Pre-soaking the dried chickpeas makes the beans more digestible.
- While draining the chickpeas, save the liquid, which is called Aquafaba and can be used in place of egg whites in desserts. You can also use the leftover liquid to make soup.
- You can also roast chickpeas for a crunchy flavor.
- Use any vegetables you want. Whatever vegetables you want. Finely dice them to ensure that the seasonings are evenly distributed.
- The spices can be adjusted to your taste.
- Can I use canned chickpeas?
Yes, indeed! You can make this salad with canned chickpeas, which means it will be ready in less than 5 minutes. So quick and simple!
- How long can I store the salad?
The leftover chickpea salad can be refrigerated for 2 days in an airtight container.
- What goes with chickpea salad?
This salad recipe does not require additional recipes; it is complete on its own! You can, however, serve with grilled chicken or fish.
- Can i make the salad Ahead?
If you want to make the salad ahead of time,
1. soak and boil the chickpeas and store in a separate container in the refrigerator, and 2. make the dressing and store in a separate container in the refrigerator.
Before serving, combine the dressing and chickpeas.
- Are canned chickpeas are healthy?
I always prefer cooking my dry beans. For a convenient side, you can use canned chickpeas.The canned chickpeas contain more sodium, which would rinse off when we washed them.
- Is chickpea good for weight loss?
Chickpeas contain a lot of fiber, which aids in weight loss. Fibers keep you fuller for longer periods and help your digestive system.
- Why aren’t my chickpeas tender?
Generally, pre-soaked dry chickpeas, when they are pressure cooked. It softened. Otherwise, Add a pinch of baking soda to the pre-soaking water that helps in the tender of the chickpeas, the soda softened the skin.
- Are chickpeas and Garbanzo beans are the something?
Yes. They are the same.
- Can I add more veggies?
Yes! You may need to whisk extra dressings too.
Other Recipes you may like to try:
Did you know commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways you can support your favorite food bloggers? If you made this recipe, please click the stars below to comment and Rate this Recipe and/or share photos on social media using the hashtag #Nithisclickncook or tagging @nithisclickncookPrint