Authentic chicken nuggets grilled to get the best barbeque flavors, in a rich and creamy curry is what makes chicken tikka masala amazingly delectable and versatile with all the explosive and authentic flavors.
- 1/2 kg chicken
- 1/2 cup curd/yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Ginger garlic paste
- 1.5 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon oil/butter
To make chicken Tikka gravy.
- 1 tablespoon Oil / Butter
- 1 cup onion puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 2 tablespoon Kashmir red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tomatoes (medium)
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 teaspoon coriander leaves.
- To a mixing bowl, add chili powder, Kashmir red chili powder, coriander leaves, turmeric powder, cumin powder, garam masala, salt, curd, ginger garlic paste, salt.
- Mix well to make the thick marinade.
- Add in the chicken. Rub the marinade over the chicken, let it marinate for 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
To cook the chicken:
- Heat oil in pan or Kadai or grill pan., fry the chicken for 6 to 7 minutes on both sides till the chicken is cooked and tender.
To make chicken tikka a gravy.
- To a saucepan, add oil and onion puree. (if you have leftover fried chicken tikka oil, you may use it, don’t discard, it has flavors in it. )
- Fry the onion puree for 5 to 6 minutes to remove the raw smell of the onions. Add ginger-garlic paste, Stirfry for 1 minute.
- Add chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala
- Fry the masala for 3 to 4 minutes to discard the raw smell of the spices.
- Add tomato puree
- Stir fry the masala for another 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water, cover, and cook in the low flame for 8 minutes.
- Add the soaked cashews to a blender along with the liquid. The process to the puree.
- Add the cashews puree
- Mix well, check for salt.
- Finally Add the fried chicken tikka, mix. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle dried fenugreek leaves (Kasthuri methi leaves) and serve.
Tips to make the best chicken tikka masala:
1. Use a thick bottomed iron skillet to make your chicken tikka masala. This prevents the chicken pieces from burning or charring too much.
2. If you do not have a time crunch, it is better to marinate the chicken pieces over-night, say around 6 hours. This helps tenderize the chicken better and also allows the flavors to come together and meld beautifully. Else, you can marinate it for around 30 minutes.
3. After broiling the chicken pieces in the skillet, add oil and scrape the left-over marinade that is fried. Retain this in the pot and cook the onions for the sauce. This will help you retain all the flavors of the cooked chicken.
4. Make sure that you broil the marinated chicken on a high flame. Cooking on low flame makes the moisture ooze out and totally changes the texture. When you broil the chicken on a high flame, you will see that it begins to blacken. Do not let it burn though.
- Category: Curries/Gravy
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: indian
Keywords: chicken tikka masala, tikka masala, tikka masala recipe