Deliciously creamy gravy wrapped with exotic flavored masala, chicken rezala is a mouth-watering and a relishing dish you should have if you are an avid chicken lover!
- 1/4 cup cashew
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 kg chicken
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoon poppyseed cashew paste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
To make chicken Rezala:
- 1tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 2 green chilli
- 5 dry red chilli
- 2 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup onion puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- A pinch of saffron
- Dice and Puree the onion to a nice smooth paste.
- Make ginger garlic paste.
- Soak poppy seeds and cashews for 10 minutes in warm water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Soak a pinch of saffron in warm water.
- Take chicken in a mixing bowl, stir in yogurt, ginger garlic paste, pepper powder, cumin powder, and salt.
- Stir in Cashew poppy paste.
- Mix well to marinate the chicken. Let it marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
To make chicken rezala:
- Heat ghee and oil in saucepan/Kadai, Add the seasonings bay leaf, dry red chillies, green chillies, cinnamon, and cloves. Let it sizzle for 1 minute.
- Add ground onion puree, cook them till the onions turn to a light golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, stir and cook for few minutes to remove the raw smell of the ginger-garlic paste disappears.
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder, and garam masala. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the marinated chicken.
- Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the required amount of water. Check for salt. Cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes over low heat.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add soaked saffron and sugar. Mix well and serve.
Pro tips from our kitchen
Marinate the chicken before 1 hour at room temperature with curd, and cashew nuts and poppy paste.
Use fresh yogurt, not sour one, it may soil the texture and taste of the dish, you can add sugar to curd to remove the sourness.
If you want to make this quite frequently, and healthy too, then add only 3 tbsp. of oil and ghee mixture.
You can use a pressure cooker also to cook this dish.
Tips to make the best paste- soak cashew and poppy seed in lukewarm water for 10 min and blend in a coffee grinder or hand grinder.
To make the gravy smooth and get the exact taste, you can boil the onions and make the paste.
- Category: Curries
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: indian
Keywords: chicken rezala, chicken korma, rezala recipe