Chicken Rezala- Deliciously creamy gravy wrapped with exotic flavored masala, This Bengali style chicken rezala is a mouth-watering and a relishing dish you should have if you are an avid chicken lover!
Traditionally a Mughlai Cuisine and has become a very popular Bengali recipe.
Chicken Rezala or chicken korma is a semi gravy dish made with all the desi raw spices and has an aroma of cooked chicken with cooked onion and spices.
A perfectly balanced dish (neither too sour nor too sweet) in taste, it is the best pair up with rice or bread.
Layered with flavors in sequential order, the dish will at least make three rounds to your plate.
Being a Mughlai dish, This chicken korma is rich in consumption that takes a good amount of time to get served.
The authenticity or traditional taste of the dish comes from the cashew and red dried chilly gravy that makes this dish a perfect show stopper of the chicken curries.
This Rezala Recipe is,
If you are looking for a dish with high nutritional value, then this dish is a must-have, high in protein, calcium, and phosphorous, it is a multi-nutrient pack.
For chicken lovers, this royal Mughlai dish is a must-have. While cooking, the strong aroma of this dish can give you a foodgasm.
This recipe can be perfectly adapted to make mutton Rezala or Egg Rezala
How to make Chicken Rezala Step by Step:
Dice and Puree the onion to a nice smooth paste.
Make ginger garlic paste.
Soak a pinch of saffron in warm water.
Pro tips to make a chicken korma from our kitchen :
1. Marinate the chicken before 1 hour at room temperature with curd, onion, sesame, and poppy paste.
2. Use fresh yogurt, not sour one, it may soil the texture and taste of the dish, you can add sugar to curd to remove the sourness.
3.If you want to make this quite frequently, and healthy too, then add only 3 tbsp. of oil and ghee mixture.
4. You can use a pressure cooker also to cook this dish.
5. Tips to make the best paste- soak cashew and poppy seed in lukewarm water for 10 min and blend in a coffee grinder or hand grinder.
6. To make the gravy smooth and get the exact taste, you can boil the onions and make the paste.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How much amount of paste should you add-in for the gravy?
It is suggested that For 1/2 cup of curd add 2 tablespoons of the paste. This helps to keep a check on your quantity.
2. How do you know that the dish is ready?
The dish is almost ready for serving when oil starts to float on top of the boiling pan, and you could cook for another 5 minutes to complete it off.
3. How do we add finishing touch to the dish or to enhance the flavor?
Top the dish with a tadka of round-cut onions and red dried chilly lightly fried in oil and stir well, then serve it with a sprinkle of saffron to give the perfect look.
4. How do we serve the dish?
You can serve the dish with tandoori bread, of freshly cooked rice or pulao, with a tinge of flavored pickle and papad.
Recipes you will love to try:
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Deliciously creamy gravy wrapped with exotic flavored masala, chicken rezala is a mouth-watering and a relishing dish you should have if you are an avid chicken lover!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
- Category: Curries
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: indian
- 1/4 cup cashew
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 kg chicken
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoon poppyseed cashew paste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
To make chicken Rezala:
- 1tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 2 green chilli
- 5 dry red chilli
- 2 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup onion puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- A pinch of saffron
- Dice and Puree the onion to a nice smooth paste.
- Make ginger garlic paste.
- Soak poppy seeds and cashews for 10 minutes in warm water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Soak a pinch of saffron in warm water.
- Take chicken in a mixing bowl, stir in yogurt, ginger garlic paste, pepper powder, cumin powder, and salt.
- Stir in Cashew poppy paste.
- Mix well to marinate the chicken. Let it marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
To make chicken rezala:
- Heat ghee and oil in saucepan/Kadai, Add the seasonings bay leaf, dry red chillies, green chillies, cinnamon, and cloves. Let it sizzle for 1 minute.
- Add ground onion puree, cook them till the onions turn to a light golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, stir and cook for few minutes to remove the raw smell of the ginger-garlic paste disappears.
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder, and garam masala. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the marinated chicken.
- Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the required amount of water. Check for salt. Cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes over low heat.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add soaked saffron and sugar. Mix well and serve.
Pro tips from our kitchen
Marinate the chicken before 1 hour at room temperature with curd, and cashew nuts and poppy paste.
Use fresh yogurt, not sour one, it may soil the texture and taste of the dish, you can add sugar to curd to remove the sourness.
If you want to make this quite frequently, and healthy too, then add only 3 tbsp. of oil and ghee mixture.
You can use a pressure cooker also to cook this dish.
Tips to make the best paste- soak cashew and poppy seed in lukewarm water for 10 min and blend in a coffee grinder or hand grinder.
To make the gravy smooth and get the exact taste, you can boil the onions and make the paste.
Keywords: chicken rezala, chicken korma, rezala recipe