The most desirable pieces of chicken bathed in a spicy red paste and fried to a succulent, crispy Chicken Lollipop, is an easy win at any party.
They taste as good as they look! The crunch at each bite and the tenderness at each mouthful makes you want to take one more; it is no exaggeration. It never is enough!
What is Chicken Lollipop?
Chicken lollipop is a well-known appetizer in the Indo-Asian cuisine. It’s almost available in most of the Indian restaurants.
In technical terms, it is a frenched chicken winglet, where the meat is cut from the bone end and pushed down making it look like a lollipop.
The leg bone is cleaned to look like a stick. Ready-made cut wings in the shape of a lollipop are available at stores.
The marinated chicken is either deep-fried or baked.
It’s your call. Just before frying, flour and cornflour is added to the chicken for that crispy touch.
Chicken Lollipops are usually served hot as an appetizer or a side dish, where the exposed bone is covered by Aluminium foil.
Reason to love Chicken Lollipop recipe:
Today, when I can’t imagine my cuisine without chicken, my all-time favourite, this dish is no exception from my hub of recipes.
My mom, my mentor, the one who introduced me to the world of Chicken Lollipops, is the prime inspiration for my recipes
You can draw inspiration from any flavour you love and modify these lip-smacking chicken lollipops recipe to your heart’s desire.
Perfect for any parties, Chicken Lollipops gets easily sold when kids are around. That’s the best part, they are my kid’s favourite too (she obviously takes after me).
Ingredients- what you’ll need:
- Chicken lollipop – To make these things easier, you can buy the ready-made lollipop that is easily available or buy the wings and make the lollipop chicken drumsticks.
- Ginger garlic paste – Prefer using homemade made ginger garlic paste as it has more flavors.
- Vinegar – You can substitute lemon juice.
- Soysauce – I used light soy sauce, but if you use dark soy sauce, 1 teaspoon will suffice.
- Tomato paste: Add a lovely tartness to the recipe; do not substitute tomato ketchup. Tomato paste has a stronger flavour and a thicker consistency.
- Chilli powder – You can also use Kashmiri chili powder as well.
- Pepper powder – It adds a spicy kick to the recipe.
Step by Step Instructions:
- Take washed chicken lollipop in a mixing bowl, Stir in all the ingredients listed under “Marination 1”. (Photos 1 & 2)
- Rub all the spices well. Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes. ( Photo 3)
- Take all-purpose flour, corn starch, chili powder, and salt for the Second marination. (Photo 4)
- Sprinkle the flour’s over the marinated chicken & Toss to coat the chicken well. (Photos 5 & 6)
- Heat about two inches of oil in a wok or kadhai. Once the oil heats up, add the battered lollipop one by one. (Photos 7 & 8)
- Fry these over medium heat till golden brown, it takes around 4 to 5 minutes. (Photo 9)
- Drain out the chicken lollipop and set it aside. (Photo 10)
Lollipop sauce Ingredients:
- Heat oil in a pan, add minced ginger, garlic, green chili Stir for 1 minute. (Photo 11)
- In goes red chili sauce, soya sauce, and tomato sauce. (Photo 12)
- Stir everything to combine for another 2 minutes. or until the sauce is slightly thickened. (Photo 13)
- Add the fried chicken lollipop, Toss to coat the chicken with the sauce, sprinkle chopped spring onions and serve them hot. (Photo 14)
- Covering the exposed bone with a small piece of aluminium foil will prevent the bones from turning black while grilling
- Adding butter to the pan while baking, adds more flavour and moisture if you are baking.
- Never add water to the marinade unless needed; it will dilute the seasonings
- The thicker the coating on the chicken, the crispier the lollipops will be
- Always deep fry the chicken at medium high.
When deep-fried, Chicken Lollipop recipe is of course, high in fat and calories, so go ahead and grill them. Just make sure to use a non-fat cooking spray to coat the pan. Having said that, being high in calories is favourable for kids, so treat them in controlled portions.
If you go for skin-less, it helps in cutting down a few more calories.
Corn flour can be substituted with rice flour for the coating. An alternative is to dip the Lollipops in breadcrumbs, for an even crunchier bite.
- What is Chicken Lollipop best served with?
Best served hot with Szechuan sauce
- Can Chicken Lollipops be prepped ahead of time?
Yes, the marinated chicken can be refrigerated overnight and fried the next day; if not, fry them once and store them for some hours and slightly fry them at a high temperature the 2nd time while serving
- What is the minimum amount of time needed for the chicken to be marinated?
At least 20 minutes
Other Recipes you may like to try:
Check out All the Chicken Recipes Here.
Did you know commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways you can support your favorite food bloggers? If you made this recipe, please click the stars below to comment and Rate this Recipe and/or share photos on social media using the hashtag #Nithisclickncook or tagging @nithisclickncookPrint