- Chicken- 3/4 kg
- Onions- 3 thinly sliced
- Ghee- 2 tbs (for final process)
- mint+coriander leaves- 1 cup (for final process)
- FOR MARINATION:
- Ginger garlic paste- 1.5 tsp
- Curd- 1 cup
- browned onions- 4 tbs
- chilli powder- 2 tbs
- turmeric powder- 1 tbs
- mint leaves+ coriander leaves – 1 cup finely chopped
- Jeera- 1tsp
- salt- to taste
- FOR BIRIYANI RICE:
- Cinnamon- 2 stick
- cloves- 3
- star anise- 2
- elachi- 2
- bay leaf- 2
- jeera- 1tsp
- green chilli- 1
- ghee- 1 tbs
- mint+ corianderleaves- 2 tbs
- salt- to taste
- PREPARATION: STEP1:
- Slice the onions thinly and deep fry them to a golden brown colour
- Soak the Basmati rice for 20 mins before cooking.
- MARINATION:STEP 2:
- Wash the chicken add in to a wide bowl, add all the ingredients given under “MARINATION”, mix them well and marinate for 40 mins.
- FOR BIRIYANI RICE:Step 3:
- Boil the water, add the soaked rice, then all the ingredients given under ” BIRIYANI RICE”
- Cook the rice until its 3/4th done, check in between.
- Drain out the excess water from the rice and keep aside.
- FOR LAYERING CHICKEN AND RICE: STEP 4:
- Add the chicken to the heavy bottomed pan spread them evenly, now add the cooked Biriyani rice
- Spread them evenly on the top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle some ghee, food colour, mint+coriander leaves on top
- cover with foil and and lid.
- Place the vessel on top of the griddle and dum process it or 20 mins in medium -high and 10-15 mins in low.
- Now the chicken biriyani is ready!!
STEP BY STEP PICTURES:PREPARATION: Chicken Dum Biryani | how to make Chicken Dum Biryani
Deep fry the sliced onions..
Fry them into golden brown colour
drain the excess oil and keep aside..
For the marination, add in the Ginger garlic paste
Add 1 cup of curd..
Add the browned onions..
Add in Chilli powder and turmeric powder..
Throw a good amount of mint leaves..
Next throw some coriander leaves
Add in little jeera, if you have shahi jeera.. pls go for it!!
Add salt to taste.. this salt is for only chicken marination.
Mix them well.. and marinate for 40 mins.
FOR BIRIYANI RICE:
Ingredients for making biriyani rice, i have taken cinnamon, cloves, elachi, star anise, bay leaf, jeera, green chilli and ghee..
Boil the water..
i have soaked the rice for 15 mins, add the biriyani rice
Now, the biriyani rice ingredients.
throw some finely chopped mint and coriander leaves.
Add 1 tbs of ghee, so that the rice will not stick to the bottom of the vessel
Let it boil for sometime.. it takes only 12 mints to cook the rice 3/4th.. keep checking the rice in between
Drain out the excess water, its is 3/4th cooked
Take a heavy bottomed vessel, add the marinated chicken, gently spread them evenly.
Spread the rice on top of the chicken..
Add some ghee..
i have added some yellow colour, but its purely optional
throw some mint leaves..
keep it in a dum process.. place the vessel on top of the griddle.
I kept for 20 mins in medium- high and 10 -15 mins in low
NOW, CHICKEN DUM BIRIYANI is Ready!! Serve it with raita!!