This Chettinad potato roast is an extremely simple, quick and easy recipe that you can make in no time! Making potato fry can’t be easier than this. This goes amazingly well with rice and roti.
This post was originally published in April 2014, It has been updated for photos and contents
Everybody makes their version of potato roast and of course, this potato roast is the basic simple recipe but although then ingredients may look simple and handy, the taste and flavour are so good.
Why this Roasted potato works:
1.The potatoes are beautifully caramelised and it has layers of flavour.
2.Simple recipe, with minimal effort and huge flavours.
3.Store the boiled potatoes and make this recipe in just a few minutes.
How to make Chettinad Potato Roast:
Tips to make the best Chettinad potato roast:
1.Potato: You may use regular potato instead of a baby potato
2.sesame oil: The potatoes are cooked in sesame oil has more flavours, you can opt for gingelly oil or any vegetable oil that works for you.
3.Seasoning: the seasoning are mustard seeds, fennel seeds and channa dal are added.
Here the channa dal has to be soaked prior to cooking and fried to a light golden colour that’s when you get a crunchy bit of channa dal.
If you like you can add urad dal as well
4.Garlic and chilli: Crush the garlic and chilli slightly using mortar pestle, that helps to enhance the flavour of potato roast.
5.Spices: The spices tend to brown quickly, so make sure keep to the low flame when you add spices.
1.What kind of potatoes are best for a roast?
Any type of potatoes works well, like baby potato or the regular potato.
2. How long does it take to boil potatoes?
Cook the potatoes in gently boiling water until tender it takes about 10 to 15 mins.
3. How long can I store this potato roast?
This potato roast can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for 2 days.
However, it tastes better when served fresh.
You can boil the potatoes and store them in the refrigerator and make this recipe anytime you want.
4. How do you serve?
This potato roast can be served with sambar rice, rasam rice, curd rice or roti.
Other Recipes you may like to try:
★ DID YOU TRY THIS CHETTINAD POTATO RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!Print
Chettinad Potato Fry
This Chettinad potato roast is extremely simple, quick and easy recipe that you can make in no-time! Making potato fry can’t be easier than this. This goes amazing well with rice and roti.
- Prep Time: boiling time- 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: StoveTop
- Cuisine: Indian
- 10 Baby Potatoes (Boiled and peeled)
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoon Channa dal
- 1 tablespoon Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 8 garlic pods (crushed)
- 2 Green chillies (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat sesame oil over medium heat, add mustard seeds, fennel seeds, channa dal and dal. Stir for few seconds.
- Add crushed garlic, green chillies and curry leave. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Then, add chilli powder and turmeric powder, salt. Stir for few seconds.
- Add boiled potato, sprinkle chopped coriander leaves. Stir and cook for 3 to 4 mins till the potatoes are well coated and roasted.
Tips to make best Chettinad potato roast:
- Potato: You may use regular potato instead of baby potato
- Gingelly oil: The potatoes are cooked in gingerly oil has more flavours ,you can opt for sesame oil or any vegetable oil that works for you.
- Seasoning: the seasoning are mustard seeds, fennel seeds and channa dal are added. Here the channa dal has to be fried to a light golden colour that’s when you get a crunchy bits of channa dal.
- If you like you can add urud dal as well
- Garlic and chilli: Crush the garlic and chilli slightly using motar pestle, that helps to enhance the flavour of potato roast.
- Spices: The spices are tend to brown quickly, so make sure keep to low flame when you add spices.
Keywords: potato roast, chettinad potato, potato fry