Black chickpeas curry | Kala channa curry | how to make punjabi kala chana masala recipe
- Black chana dal- 1 cup
- Ghee- 1 tbs
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Onions- 2 medium size.
- Garlic- 6 cloves
- Green chilli- 2
- Tomatos- 2 medium size
- Redchilli powder- 2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala- 1tsp.
- Hing- just a pinch.
- Salt- to taste.
- Coriander leaves- 1 small bunch.
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp.
- water- 3 cups.
- Soak the black channa dal for 8 to 9 hours.
- Heat up the pan add in ghee, add in cumin seeds and onions and sauté till it turns translucent.
- Add in chopped garlic and chilli and sauté it for 2 mins.
- Add in tomatoes and sauté till it turns light mushy.
- Add in chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, hing, salt and sauté till the raw smell disappears.
- Now, add the soaked black channa dal along with water, sprinkle some coriander leaves and pressure cook for 8-9 whistles.
- Once it is cooked, finally add in garam masala and lemon juice.
- Serve hot with chapati, naan, bread.
STEP BY STEP PICTURES:
Soak black chana dal for 8 hours
Add in ghee.
Add in cumin seeds.
Add in onions and cook till it turns translucent.
Add in garlic and red chilli sauté for 2 mins.
Add in tomatoes and cook for 3 mins.
Now add in chilli powder.
Add in turmeric powder.
Add in a pinch of hing and cook till the raw smell disappears.
Add in salt.
Add in channa dal with water.
Sprinkle some coriander leaves and pressure cook for 7 to 8 whistle.
Once it is cooked, add in the garam masala powder.
Squeeze 1tsp of lemon.
Black chana dal gravy is ready to be served with chapati, poori, naan or bread.