- All purpose flour/Maida- 1 cup
- Baking powder- 2 tsp
- Eggs- 3
- Butter- 3/4th cup
- Sugar- 3/4th cup for batter + 2.5 tbs – for making fruit mixture
- Red wine- 70 ml
- Black raisins- 1/2 cup
- Tuitty Fruitty- 1/4 cup
- Candied Ginger- 1 tbs (store bought please check Notes for home- made)
- Candied Orange Peel- 1 tbs (store bought please Notes for home made)
- Nutmeg powder- 1.5 tbs
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Molasse/dates syrup- 1 tsp (i used lion dates syrup)
- Caramel- 1 tbs
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Lemon- zest- 1tsp
- Pre-heat the oven 150 degree C for 15minutes.
- In a cookin pan,add redwine, dried ginger, dried orange, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add raisins, tuitty fruitty mix them well, simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add honey mix and cook for another 3 minutes. Honey gives an excellent glaze to the mixture, after 3 to 4 minutes you can see all the red wine is completely absorbed by all the fruit mixture.. this is consistency. let it come to room temperature.
- Once it comes to room temperature, add nutmeg powder and give them a good mix.
- Meanwhile, Mix all purpose flour and baking soda keep aside.
- we can make a cake batter, beat butter and eggs until fluffy.
- Add 1 eggs at a time and beat until all the egg mixture is combined.
- Add molasses and caramel while beating the mixture, now you have got the brown mixture.
- Add fruit mixture and beat them until its combined.
- Add all-purpose flour and gently fold them
- Pour in the greased tray and bake it for 50 minutes at 150 degree C
- Slice them once it comes to room temperature.
- Plum cake is ready!!
For candied Ginger- Simmer the chopped ginger in water for 15 minutes, drain and combine them with equal amount of sugar, some reserved ginger water,in a sauce pan, sugar crystal eventually evaporates! when there is no liquid left in the pan, it means its READY!! Bring them to a cool temperature.
For candied orange – Simmer the chopped orange peel in water for 15 minutes , drain and combine them with equal amount of sugar, in a sauce pan, sugar crystals eventually evaporates. When there us no liquid left in the pan, its Ready!! bring them to a cool temperature.
For caramel- mix 2 tbs sugar + 1 tsp of water and bring them to boil, keep stirring until the colour changes to golden brown- i recommend making this caramel before adding otherwise it might turn hard if u made ahead.
you can use dates syrup instead of molasses.
Gently fold the All purpose flour until combined – DO NOT BEAT THEM otherwise the cake might turn hard.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Continental