Best Plum cake recipe with step by step pictures. Hello friends.. how is Christmas planning going on????? Manila, Holidays mood is everywhere!! Let me tell you always My food love is connected to some memories and sometimes it’s little emotional too. This plum cake has a little story behind.. During my school days, one of my favourite teachers bought us a plum cake, it tasted Soo Soo Yummy!! I asked her where did she get it from? so that i can take a bite whenever i want!) 🙂 🙂 I noticed that’s one of famous shop around my place, and i can’t believe its really small one too and people standing in a queue to buy cakes!! I bought my favourite plum cake! It tasted so delicious!! it always makes you take another bite and another bite and keep going.. When i decided to bake this cake at home!! i was totally excited and super – satisfied because it’s been a long while I am a tasted. A small bite took me to good old school days memories! This is Beautiful, Extra- delicious, and superb!
Let me come to this recipe When i decided to bake for Christmas post! If u get the ingredients in store bought- its so quick and easy!! And this will not take much time like soaking the fruits a day ahead. Or if ur making at home-made candied fruits just plan 1 day ahead, however, it would take just 10 to 15 minutes work! That’s it!! I’m so happy looking at the colour it turned out! the colour of the cake very much depends on the caramel. usually, for making caramel custard we make in golden syrup, otherwise it might turn bitter, for this recipe it specifically mentioned the caramel should be a dark brown, when i tasted it was completely bitter, i was worried, it will spoil the cake!! But the end result is awesome!!! The bitterness had not affected the cake, in fact the texture, colour is super good!This is my favourite cake now it’s hearty, perfectly sweet, moist, tender, little spiced. I should tell you this is the BEST!Print
Best Plum Cake Recipe- How to make Plum cake
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 70 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Continental
- All purpose flour/Maida- 1 cup
- Baking powder- 2 tsp
- Eggs- 3
- Butter- 3/4th cup
- Sugar- 3/4th cup for batter + 2.5 tbs – for making fruit mixture
- Red wine- 70 ml
- Black raisins- 1/2 cup
- Tuitty Fruitty- 1/4 cup
- Candied Ginger- 1 tbs (store bought please check Notes for home- made)
- Candied Orange Peel- 1 tbs (store bought please Notes for home made)
- Nutmeg powder- 1.5 tbs
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Molasse/dates syrup- 1 tsp (i used lion dates syrup)
- Caramel- 1 tbs
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Lemon- zest- 1tsp
- Pre-heat the oven 150 degree C for 15minutes.
- In a cookin pan,add redwine, dried ginger, dried orange, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add raisins, tuitty fruitty mix them well, simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add honey mix and cook for another 3 minutes. Honey gives an excellent glaze to the mixture, after 3 to 4 minutes you can see all the red wine is completely absorbed by all the fruit mixture.. this is consistency. let it come to room temperature.
- Once it comes to room temperature, add nutmeg powder and give them a good mix.
- Meanwhile, Mix all purpose flour and baking soda keep aside.
- we can make a cake batter, beat butter and eggs until fluffy.
- Add 1 eggs at a time and beat until all the egg mixture is combined.
- Add molasses and caramel while beating the mixture, now you have got the brown mixture.
- Add fruit mixture and beat them until its combined.
- Add all-purpose flour and gently fold them
- Pour in the greased tray and bake it for 50 minutes at 150 degree C
- Slice them once it comes to room temperature.
- Plum cake is ready!!
For candied Ginger- Simmer the chopped ginger in water for 15 minutes, drain and combine them with equal amount of sugar, some reserved ginger water,in a sauce pan, sugar crystal eventually evaporates! when there is no liquid left in the pan, it means its READY!! Bring them to a cool temperature.
For candied orange – Simmer the chopped orange peel in water for 15 minutes , drain and combine them with equal amount of sugar, in a sauce pan, sugar crystals eventually evaporates. When there us no liquid left in the pan, its Ready!! bring them to a cool temperature.
For caramel- mix 2 tbs sugar + 1 tsp of water and bring them to boil, keep stirring until the colour changes to golden brown- i recommend making this caramel before adding otherwise it might turn hard if u made ahead.
you can use dates syrup instead of molasses.
Gently fold the All purpose flour until combined – DO NOT BEAT THEM otherwise the cake might turn hard.
Step by step pictures:
For Cake Batter:
Plum cake is ready!! Its YUMMYYY!! Do you want to taste it? Do try and fall in love with this cake!!
Merry Christmas! Cheers!