This baked Mac and cheese recipe is super easy to make, a classic version with simple and pantry friendly ingredients with crunchy Panko breadcrumbs layer makes it truly delicious.
- 1 cup elbow pasta
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- 2 cups of milk
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoon Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven 375 degrees F/190 degrees C for 10minutes prior baking.
- Cook pasta:
- Bring the water to boil, add a pinch of salt, olive oil and pasta and cook the pasta just for 5 minutes
- Strain the cooked pasta in a colander and set aside.
- Roast the Panko breadcrumbs:
- Heat 1 teaspoon butter in a saucepan
- Add Panko bread crumbs.Roast the Panko crumbs to a nice golden colour, collect in a bowl and set aside.
- To make a sauce:
- Over low heat, melt butter in the saucepan, add flour, pepper powder and salt. Stir for just 10 or 20 seconds.
- Then, Gradually add in the milk and continue whisking using a balloon whisk.Continue stirring to avoid lumps and to get a smooth white sauce.
- In goes, mozzarella cheese.Whisk till the cheeses are melted
- Fold the cooked macaroni
- To bake:
- Butter the baking dish
- Pour the macaroni.Sprinkle the Panko bread crumbs
- Bake uncovered for 375 degrees F/ 190 degrees C for10 to 15 minutes.
Tips to make the best macaroni recipe:
Cook the pasta just for 5 minutes and we gonna bake it that ensures the pasta is well cooked.
Fry the Panko crumbs in butter to get a nice golden colour that helps to enhance the flavour.
Whisk the flour ands the milk vigorously to avoid avoid lumps and to get a creamy white sauce.
Do not over cook the white sauce with cheese for a longer time, it thickens quicker.
I had mozzarella cheese so I have added it, if you want the more creamier Mac can cheese add combination of cheddar cheese and parmesan.
- Category: maincourse, breakfast
- Method: stovetop and baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mac and cheese, macaroni recipe, homemade mac and cheese