It is Italian comfort food to its best, with exploding flavours of tomato sauce layered with crispy eggplants and baked with perfection!
- 2 Eggplants
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup olive oil
To make tomato sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 basil leaves
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- Salt to taste.
- Slice the eggplants in round shape or vertically, keep them aside.
- Blend the tomatoes to puree or you can use the store-bought tomato puree.
To make Tomato sauce:
- Heat Olive oil in a sauce pan, add minced garlic. Cook for few seconds till the aroma of the garlic is evident.
- Add Tomato puree, in goes the spice powder chilli powder, chilli flakes, salt ,oregano, mixed Italian herbs, fresh basil, rosemary. Cover and cook for 10 minutes till the sauce is thicken.
To cook the Eggplants:
- Heat olive oil /vegetable oil in wide pan
- To a wide bowl, whisk egg, Italian herbs, pepper powder, dried basil, salt and to a another bowl spread some panko breadcrumbs.
- Take a sliced eggplant, first dip in the egg mixture and roll over the breadcrumbs. Now the eggplant is coated with panko bread crumbs.
- Shallow fry the eggplant till they are golden brown, flip half way through once they turn golden brown. Likewise, fry the eggplants
To Assemble and bake:
- Spoon some tomato sauce to bottom of the baking tray, arrange the fried eggplant, spoon some tomato sauce over the eggplant. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese.
- Follow the same step to assemble one more layer of Eggplant.
- Finally sprinkle mozzarella cheese, fresh basil leaves. Bake uncovered for 350 F/ 180 C for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven, let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving
- Sweat the eggplant: sprinkle salt on it and allow it to sit. This way all the excess water is released and along with it, the bitter component if any id present. It also makes it firm and prevents it from becoming soggy.
- Instead of frying, you can use a binder like whisked eggs and coat the eggplant slices. Next, dip the coated slices in bread crumbs and roast until the outer crust is a lovely golden brown.
- If you want added flavor, you can use pasta sauce. This tip works only if you are not serving the baked eggplant parmesan with pasta as a side dish. We don’t want to repeat the flavors.
- While choosing the eggplant for this recipe, choose the ones that feel firm, not too hard (unripe), or too soft (over-ripe).
- Category: Maincourse
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: baked eggplant parmesan, eggplant parmesan recipe, italian eggplant