Baingan Bharta Recipe – This creamy, smoky roasted eggplant mash is SO easy and wonderfully delicious! The smoky touch to the Eggplants gives you the Authentic Punjabi Dhaba flavors!
- 1 eggplant
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon green chili
- 1/2 cup onion ( chopped)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tomato
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
Prep the ingredient:
- Chop finely onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, and coriander leaves.
To smoke the eggplant:
- To smoke the eggplant on the stovetop. Place the eggplant on fire and roast the eggplant turning frequently using thongs. It would take 5 to 7 minutes until you see char-grilled marks. The eggplant should be nice and soft.
- Once the eggplant has charred, immerse in the bowl of water for easy peeling of the skin
- Once the skin is peeled off, take in a bowl.
- Mash the eggplant using a fork.
To make Baigan Bharta:
- Heat oil in a cast-iron pan/Kadai add chopped garlic, ginger, and green chilies
- Stir fry them for 1 minute.
- Add chopped onion. Cook the onion till they are translucent.
- Add chili powder, turmeric powder and garam masala, stir fry and cook the masala for 3 to 5 minutes over a low flame.
- Add Chopped tomatoCook the tomatoes to turn mushy.
- Add mashed eggplant. Mix well and stir for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and serve.
Tips to make the best recipe.
Fire roast the eggplant on direct fire and ensure not to over char the skin.
The smokey element is extremely important to get the right taste, extra charring will bring in bitterness.
You can roast some cloves along with the baingan to enhance the flavor quotient. The clove adds more flavor without taking away the authenticity of the vegetable.
Use more green chillis to make the curry spicier or reduce it too. However, a non-spicier version of it tastes good too.
- Category: SideDish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: indian
Keywords: baingan bharta, roasted eggplant, roasted eggplant mash